hand conditioning

Discussion in 'Taekwondo Patterns' started by Finlay, May 31, 2016.

1. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

How much time and therefore how important do you find hand conditioning

Before it was seen as very important and I went through a time of hitting every hard flat surface I could find. I should my calloused knuckles with pride and used to really enjoy breaking in competitions and demonstrations.

However as I have got older and hopefully wiser I wonder how much is really needed. There are other ways to hit someone and hit a board vs hitting a person is different anyway.

I know one Nan shaolin fella. Who had huge hands developed over years of conditioning. There was also on guy who was famous because he had conditioned only one of his hands. Weird to say the least .

In the modern world of iPad, smart phones and keyboard is hand conditioning a relic of the martial way?

2. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

Depends on the purpose IMO. I believe in conditioning for a specific break, for example I just spent 8 months conditioning for a very specific demonstration break for an important event.

I believe in conditioning bones and structure. I'm not so keen on skin conditioning. I think it yields limited value in comparison to the work and aesthetics involved.

I also strongly believe that conditioning should be supervised and planned over a long period to avoid potentially life-altering damage to the hands.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

3. John F

John F Member

We don't condition it enough. I have soft hands. And I know how bad it hurts to hit something with full force. So I am careful how I hit things. But many of the colored belts (and black belts) have never hit anything. I have had to drag them into hitting pads and bags because I was worried. They will be in for a rude awakening on the day they have to hit some one for the first time.

4. canadiankyosa

canadiankyosa Active Member

"Soft hands" is not the problem. Breaking five patio stones (Canadian ones = 2000 pds/sq inch) with no spacers can be done by a person from almost any year of age with minuscule, or no, pain/damage to the hands. People who do breaking with fists, elbows, etc. are plain ignoramuses who watn to impress how much they can damage their bodies. We had a 375 pd man do the following break (just one and not five) at the Arnie event in Ohio. He did not place because the judges did not understand how much more damage that the striking done can do compared to hard styles.

5. John F

John F Member

When I say soft, I really mean small. There is a physical limit to what my bone structure can take compared to my my mass. Breaking is easy but if I lay into some ones hard spots with all my power, I can easily shatter the bones in my hand.

canadiankyosa likes this.
  6. canadiankyosa

Any hand is never meant to break hard substances with knuckles. This is why I like doing the soft breaking in the video. The soft strike is, overall, more powerful in the damage done. You can, and women need this principle practiced, shatter a man/woman's mandible and never injure your hand.

Keep in mind, a well delivered boxing punch creates a lot of damage but to the deliverer, as well, sometimes.

http://www.wimsblog.com/2013/05/boxing-for-self-defense-is-it-effective/

John F likes this.
  7. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

I really like soft sticking and have had some.success oleith it.

Does any know of a clip where the soft stoking being used on a different material such as wood.

Brick breaking while impressive does.make use of the over all nature of the brick. It doesn't really yield or absorb shock very well. If you dropped a block on the floor it would break while as a piece of wood probably wouldn't. There are probably scientific words out there but in case I use the wrong one and derail the discussion into pointlessness

As an aside would this be an example of the priNicole from.goju Ryu. Hard on soft, soft on hard?

8. canadiankyosa

Trust me, soft "brick" breaking is not easy. It takes about 2000 PSI (on Canadian patio stones) to break one. The differences in material are not the factor per se but technique. Patio stones have not grain while wood does. Also, wood is not as dense as patio stones are. Think of a soft break's energy as a bullet's path travelling through a body. A punch is spread out on the surface while a soft palm strike follows a straight path further into a target. Breaking a window is simple example. If not done with proper softness, they will not break easily and if done too hard, one may break but you would not succeed with more.

Breaking of boards is the way to have children and people who are small or nervous start the breaking. Start with one standard "karate board" and add one as confidence goes up. I did the soft break on one patio stone and I had no clue it broke until I looked down at it.

9. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

My question was not about the merits of soft striking, like I mentioned I have some experience with this

My main query was of there is any footage of using different materials. I didn't say it was easy merely that different material have different properties.

10. canadiankyosa

It is not really about the material. Some materials are not usable (ie granite or marble) but many are. It is about the technique alone. Try different materials once the technique is mastered on multiple pine boards and cinder blocks. :)