Hello, everyone.

Discussion in 'The Dojang' started by Melissa, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Melissa

Melissa New Member

My name is Melissa, I'm a blue belt currently teaching English and studying Taekwondo in South Korea.

I'm 32 and formerly of New Jersey. Before this, I taught English in Russia for two years, and when I left, all I could think was, "I should have studied Sambo while there." Not one to let an opportunity go by twice, I decided I would definitely study Taekwondo while in Korea. So far, it has been very enjoyable, and a great workout. To supplement it, I've even begun taking 17 mile and up bike rides on the weekends.

I'm learning tons of terminology, and some great patterns that aren't even part of the WTF poomse. So glad I'm in training, and would love any advice about exercises to improve my flexibility and advice about breaking.

Love this site,
    Cheers.

John McNally likes this.
  2. John Hulslander

John Hulslander Active Member

New Jersey? Which exit?
    (I spent my formative years in the Asbury Park area)

If you get the opportunity make sure to check out the Taekwondo Park opening soon.

John McNally and Melissa like this.
  3. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

Wow, thats brilliant! I would love to do sambo, but its not too popular here. Your at a great start, doing cycling. I did it loads over the summer when I had shoulder surgery and its great for your heart and general fitness (dont listen to those people that tell you anything you can do for more than 5 mins in a waste!). I have just been doing static stretching after my weights workouts for the last few weeks and ive noticed a big difference. I just do a really simple routine of the splits, raising one foot in front for my hamstrings and stretching my hip flexors by sitting with the palms of my feet touching and pushing my knees into the ground. Good luck! and welcome to the forums :)

Melissa likes this.
  4. Melissa

Melissa New Member

Thanks for the support and Jersey love. I'm from down south--the reason it is called The Garden State, in fact. So I would be exit 27 off of Route 55.

And I am all about the stretches. We do a great one in class where we start out in ready position, kick our back leg all the way up, swing it back down, then pull it all the way back and lean our whole body down into the split. The stretches you suggested are all on the menu for warm-up. I think the hardest part is the patience. I've heard it will take about two years before I can successfully pull off the splits and more impressive high kicks. But thank you for sharing tips and input.

5. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

Yeah, the stretches and exercises in general dont need to be complicated, you just need to work hard and consistently at them. Oh, and remember to stretch for at least 30 seconds at a time. If you can pick up pavels book 'relax into stretch' over there that should be a good start :)

6. Gazzer

Gazzer Active Member

2 Years for the splits lol I wish I could do them, I cant even get close :) At least im trying, training 3 times a week , love it.
    but I dont over do stretching, I dont know if I should, im worried it might not be too good for my muscles/tendons pushing them to much I already have a sore tendons on my right knee and now my knee cap is painful after getting kick right on it.

Must be great, but really, Really tough training in Korea but well worth it.

7. John Hulslander

John Hulslander Active Member

I mentioned this in another thread. Have you checked out Thomas Kurz program?

www.stadion.com

He has a regular piece in TKD times. Some of his stuff is fairly technical. (He is an MD. afterall)

8. Narcsarge

Narcsarge New Member

Welcome to the site! Glad to have you here!

9. Melissa

Melissa New Member

Ok, maybe two years is a bit ambitious. I really have to work on patience. It is difficult learning through the language barrier, but my Sah Buh Nim is very good-natured and makes sure I know what is being taught and what I have to do. For things that are very difficult, I study the Korean words I need to communicate, and I watch YouTube videos or read up on websites like this.

So glad this site exists.

John McNally likes this.
  10. John McNally

John McNally Active Member

Doing the splits or stretching at least is good for you, it helps prevent later body conditions as long as done correct, keep the body straight (spine) whilst holding stretch positions, we do not recommend bouncing stretch any more as some medicals believe it does run too much of a risk of permanent damage.
    30 - 40 seconds in each position is best, but remember to do restrictive stretching to so you keep strength at stretch position.
    Keep it up as i have a few students that have managed the splits within 2 years, stretch moderately every day and stretch hard every 2 days.

Melissa likes this.
  11. colin french

colin french New Member

Hello and welcome to the site and i love that you have the passion to learn the language and the art

Melissa likes this.
  12. Blue_Knight

Blue_Knight Active Member

Hello, Melissa. I visited Korea for only a few weeks from 1996 - 97. May I ask at what Taekwondo dojang, and what Grandmaster are you training under? As for stretching, it will come in time if you do it daily, but after a good day of thorough stretching, give a light stretch for the next couple of days, then go back to intense. Light warm-up stretches, kick for awhile to heat up and relax the muscles, then stretch some more.

Nice to talk with you.
    Blue Knight

13. Aidan84

Aidan84 New Member

Welcome to the mad house! :)

John McNally and bowlie like this.