hi im michael

Discussion in 'The Dojang' started by michael mckenna, Jan 7, 2013.

1. michael mckenna

michael mckenna Active Member

Hi im michael mckenna i am a green belt blue stripe in the GTF (global taekwondo federation)
    I started taekwondo when i was 8 years old being very good at it and won, many gold medals in sparring competitions. Unfortunatly when i was 9 i broke my leg didnt heal properly till i was 17 then explored other arts
    But went back to taekwondo. My teacher is mr stephen gell 5 time GTF world champion.
    I would like to learn everything there is to know about tkd. In march i am going to a seminar by
    Bill superfoot wallace. I am a member of GTF scotland and hope to make a big name for myself in martial arts.

2. UK-Student

UK-Student Active Member

That's cool. Good luck!

Bill Wallace had his own leg injury he had to get past so I guess he's a really good role model.

3. michael mckenna

Yeh i still sometimes walk with a limp but its better now. I cant wait to meet him need to get a picture with him

UK-Student likes this.
  4. RTKDCMB

RTKDCMB Active Member

Welcome to the community. Bill Superfoot Wallace is awesome. He was named after a hotdog, could kick at 75 m.p.h. and was the undefeated world kickboxing/Karate champion. Because of an old Judo injury he only ever kicked with his left leg and only did 3 different kicks, turning (roundhouse), side and hooking kicks he would be good to meet.

UK-Student likes this.
  5. michael mckenna

Thanks i apreciate it. Luckily i can do most of the kicks with my left leg need to balance out and use my right leg more

6. Bochica

Bochica Member

Good luck! I've just started back in martial arts after breaking both ankles 5 years ago. I have 3 pins in one ankle and 5 in the other, my balance is pants!

7. michael mckenna

Ah that sucks is there any pain while kicking ?

8. Bochica

Bochica Member

There was to start with, After a chat with TKD instructor they explained the methods of kicking and broke me in gently, I have been training for 9mths now and with no problems at all.

The downside is I cannot do squat thrusts, running or skipping!

If I do, I get an aching pain the next day and walk like a zombie for the first couple of hours!

9. michael mckenna

Ah how has doing the splits affected u ? I remember my instructor made us do squat thrusts walking squats and alot of different stretching i was walking like a cowboy for a week. People thought i was doing an elvis impersonation lol

10. Ivor

Ivor Member

Bochica, i have had problems with my knees for years now, about 20 years back i went to a physio who explained to me that part of my problem was balance (the body not knowing where it was in space). Anyway he showed me an exercise which surprisingly helped; he said to close your eyes, hands by your sides, flex the knees slightly and lift one leg till the knee is level with the waist and hold it for 10 - 20 seconds, then repeat with the other leg. he said to do this daily, i did several reps for each leg.

Michael, i first saw Superfoot in the late 80's on telly - he was something special! i was pleasantly surprised a few months ago to find he is still training and teaching (i guess theres hope for all us old crocks after all!), enjoy the seminar!

11. Bochica

Bochica Member

No pain as such, gently as she goes is the way. At 40, if I can touch my toes I will be happy

12. Bochica

Bochica Member

Ivor likes this.