Horse Riding Stance Help!

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by Dean, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Dean

Dean New Member

Hi,
    So I have been experiencing some trouble with my horse/horse riding stance and was wondering if anyone here would be able to help me out.
    My instructor encourages deeper stances then most TKD clubs I know of which usually isn't an issue for me as I have a good level of flexibility and leg strength. But when it comes to doing a horse riding stance my feet always turn out as I set into my stance. So does anyone know of any exercises or specific stretches I could do in order to gain the correct feet positioning (pointing directly to the front)

All advice is welcome and appreciated :)

2. UK-Student

UK-Student Active Member

Look down, adjust, practise. No short cuts unfortunately. I doubt your problem has anything to do with flexibility (i.e. specific stretching), and strength in the stance is best practised by moving into the stance.

BTW your instructor is right. Horse riding stance is a deep stance - that other clubs sit higher tends to be because of incorrect posture or laziness.

Dean likes this.
  3. Master Fahy

Master Fahy Active Member

While in the choon bi (ready stance) stepping out with the left foot, approximately two and a half times your shoulders width, you raise your left leg and foot. Then when you bring your left leg and foot downward, land with the ball of your foot (not the heel) and pivot, this will bring your heel outward more, then place the heel down. Now your in the juchoon sogi (horse stance). After your in the stance you need to adjust the weight on the whole your foot. The key is where you place the weight on your foot. Master Fahy

Dean likes this.
  4. Chris J

Chris J Active Member

Make sure there is pressure(weight) on the the outside soles of your feet, spreading your knees will ensures the stance shape is correct. 'Grip' the floor with your toes, the 3 smaller toes do much of the floor gripping. If your doing traditional patterns, the last 2 stances in Do-san. To overcome my feet turning out I concentrated on 'toes in' until it became automatic. Fear not as this is a common problem, with many solutions to help you overcome it. Master Fahy's advice regarding landing on the ball is an easy 'fixer' for almost all stances. When landing on balls of your feet, forward momentum causes the heel to 'kick' outward slightly. This will work for any stance that has a 15 degree angle on the lead foot.