How do you prioritize TaeKwonDo techniques?

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by Pleonasm, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

Given the vast amount of techniques, how do you divide the training?

My home training consists of the following (the rest are covered in the dojang):

30% Yeop Chagi

30% Dolyo Chagi

20% spinning side kick

20% Lead leg side kick.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  3. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

If there are too many techniques, don't think in terms of techniques. I split into:

Basics
    Poomsae
    Footwork
    Self defence
    Sparring
    Breaking
    Demonstration and freestyle
    Weapons work
    Theory and terminology

I only have 9 things to practice. All of the techniques you listed are under "basics".

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

4. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

That's a curriculum. I asked how you prioritize techniques, that is to say kicks and punches. Do you specialize your training at home to high procentage strikes, or do you try to be a jack of all trades

5. Gnarlie

I don't train at home. It's a general principle of my training to identify and focus on improving weak areas first. This determines what is practised.

6. Mario Ray Mahardhika

Mario Ray Mahardhika Active Member

I kept the basics that can form others the most (ap, dolyo, yeop, naeryo and dwi). The rest depends on occassions, what I want to improve that session. Some that aren't listed as the basics are sometimes prerequisites to improve another, too. e.g. footwork for sparring.

7. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

back in the day i focused the majority of my home training on side kick. mainly because at the time i saw it as the 'mother kick'

i trained everything off the side kick, every night i worked on continuous single kick side,hook, turning kick combo. mainly this was for the leg strength

however, this did leave me with a weaker turning kick off the ground. the trade off was worth it

8. Matt

Matt Member

There is the old kung fu saying that is something along the lines of; I fear the man that has practiced 1 kick 1000 times than the man that has practiced 1000 kicks 1 time. I think there is something to be said about repetition. As a martial artist we want to be able to execute all techniques effectively, or at least I believe most of us do. Along the lines of that, we want to be able to do everything we can on the right as we can on the left. If you break techniques down into smaller sub-categories that is fine, but you need to practice them all equally. I do not think you should "prioritize" one technique over another unless it is a technique you have a lot of trouble with. If you know 10 kicks you should practice all ten of them, not just side kick if it is your favorite, and even worse not just right leg side kick if it is your favorite leg.

9. Gnarlie

I always found that fear 1000 kicks thing to be way off the mark; there is nothing to fear from a person who really understands what martial arts is about. It misses the point for me.

10. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

You seem to contradict youself in this post a little... you syart off by using the quote of practicing 1000 kicks once vs practicing 1 kick 1000 times. You then follow to say we need to practice all kicks.

There are high yield techniques like side kick, turning kick, back kick.. these should be practiced often... there are other techniques that are less effective oyr less easy to pull off... an example of this would be axe kick. You dont see so many people doing it for a load of reasons.

As an example if you watch Barada or Tapilatu fighting they largely use the high yeild techniqies mentioned above... going back a few years, however the exeption that proves the rule is Pierre Guénette. He used axe kick a lot.. he was built for it and had alot if success with it. I have no doubt that all of the practioners mentioned could excute many different kicks but i am also sure their training favoured certain techniques

11. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

The side kick is not traditionally a KO kick though.. Dolyo chagi is. I don't train formally no longer but dolyo chagi is my nr 1 priority.

12. Gnarlie

Work to do...