How do you respond when people point out failings of your art

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by Finlay, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

forums athese days and people in genral are full of people talking about the weak points of arts. Not all in a negative way, some are pointing out legitimate issues.

something that are commonly said legit or not

Aikido, just a martial dance
    BJJ, not so good for multiple opponents
    TKD, only kicks not practical
    etc

how do you respond when people talk about your art?

2. akisbat

akisbat Member

Well if someone called me dancer or something like that , I'd be like " then dance with me" . People don't know , that's why they hate, and you can't get them to learn. So you need to say something clever. Another example is that when someone says "if I grab you... (blah blah)" and "if i throw you down (blah blah)" a good answer you be "If" ! I'm not trying to make enemies or challange someone I just want them to reconsider.

3. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

I ask them what they are basing their evaluation on, then ask them why they might assume that's all there is to the art.

It's not up to me to change their mind, but I like to have them justify their views.

4. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

I found the art with the least sort comings for me, so noone ever says that :p

5. Chris J

Chris J Active Member

Ignorance is bliss...... The only failure I've noticed is the failure for my attacker to get to his feet and try again.

akisbat likes this.
  6. Gnarlie

"Your Taekwondo might have shortcomings. Mine doesn't."

7. John Hulslander

John Hulslander Active Member

The worst thing that you can do in this type of situation (at least IMO) is get defensive and overly protective of your particular MA.

My approach is to say that we enjoy what it is that we do. It isn't for everyone and it will not be to everyone's taste. There is value in most martial arts clubs, even the McDojangs/McDojos.

In the long run the worst thing you can do when encountered with a Troll is to feed it.
    If the person isn't a Troll then be open, honest and inviting.

akisbat and Gnarlie like this.
  8. ssiidd

ssiidd Active Member

I have been asked numerous times why I train a sporting art and have been compared to other arts out there.

What I always say for me it is about the bigger picture, the philosophy behind it and the discipline it instills in me. It has made me a better person, given me discipline and control and as Sah Buh Nim Hulslander says, I enjoy it! As a martial artist I respect all arts not just TKD and if I had more than a lifetime I would learn them all ... albeit one lifetime doesn't feel sufficient to even learn TKD fully!

akisbat likes this.
  9. Raymond

Raymond Active Member

I've honestly never had this problem since I've trained multiple disciplines since day one. I'm more likely to have meat heads who think that their 300 lb. bench press makes them a better fighter than a trained martial artist of any art.

Its easiest for me to shrug and walk away in these cases.

I've never had to but if they were "aggressive" in their actions, I would give them the address and a card for where I train and invite them to join us for a session in a non-threatening way (since I have nothing to prove to them at this point).

akisbat likes this.
  10. RTKDCMB

RTKDCMB Active Member

Well first I have to wonder if they are talking about my art specifically, if they are not then I ignore it. If they are then I then have to wonder if they know what they are talking about, what they are seeing and if they are qualified to judge. If the answer is no to any of those then I ignore it. If the answer is yes to all of those then I will try to address it and remove those shortcomings where possible. That is my decision tree. So far no one has ever gotten through that last stage.

11. teagentleman

teagentleman New Member

With Taekwondo, it is usually a simple matter of patiently correcting honest misconceptions. Mostly goes along the lines of: "I've seen the Olympics and you only train fancy kicks", which to be fair, is the most exposure that many will have had to it. Stuff like that is simply not true and can be easily set right if they are willing to listen.

The other situation is the small minority who seem to be fixed in a view that "x or y martial art is useless" without really being able to explain why. Again, patience and logical discussion is the best approach here. You may not always change their mind, but at least you might make them think it over/become more informed in their view. At the end of the day, I doubt any of us do martial arts to impress people, so it's not something to get too worked up about.

12. Gnarlie

It's important to be an ambassador for your art. People's views are not changed by a zealous attitude. I have to. learn this myself, I can be an intolerant zealot at times.