How frequent your training weekly

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by David Fhu, Nov 26, 2018.

1. David Fhu

David Fhu New Member

Hi All,

How frequent are your training weekly? How long each training?

3. Gazzer

Gazzer Active Member

Well I train 3 times a week for an hour each time, Im not training for competitions though.

David Fhu likes this.
  4. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

It varies. Some of it is teaching but I tend to join in.

Monday 4 hours
    Tuesday rest day / home training
    Alternate wednesdays 2 hours
    Thursday 1-2 hour
    Friday 5 hours
    Saturday 2-3 hours
    Sunday rest day / stretching

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

5. Rugratzz

Rugratzz Active Member

Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday, body permitting, three to four hours each day. One every four weeks its my turn to teach, but join in most lessons.

6. David Fhu

David Fhu New Member

Are you a coach?

7. David Fhu

David Fhu New Member

Both you and Gnarlie really train hard.

I only get to train 2 hours per week.

8. Rugratzz

Rugratzz Active Member

Just train all you can, if you only manage 1 hour a week that's better than nothing. Doing some training at home will also add more training. We are quite flexible in our club and allow adults to train with the younger students if they want to, and vise versa. So another hour can be added, also its good for the younger ones to train with adults. I dont know how long you've been training for, if a beginner, dont try to do too much at once, let your body get used to it first. If you have been training for some time then talk to your instructor, (coach) maybe there are other options open to you.

9. Gnarlie

Yes, for a few organisations.

10. David Fhu

David Fhu New Member

I have start training since this year March. Although I have a background with TKD during my young time, I don't have my grading card. Therefore, I start all over from White Belt.

2 double promotion since then, currently, I am a Green Belt holder. How looking at how to gear up my skillset and pattern.

11. Dan

Dan New Member

For perspective, I am 49 years old. I earned a black belt in Kukkiwon Tae Kwon Do in college 25 years ago. About 2 years ago started back after not having practiced TKD in over a decade. I essentially started over in a different style (Song Moo Kwan TKD).

Currently, I usually do about 5 hours a week. Break out is something like this

Tuesday, and Wednesday is normal 1 hour class, where the content varies and is open to all belts. Thursday is similar but is for higher ranks. Friday is a one hour class that is always kata/poomsae. Saturday morning is an hour of sparring.

That time will probably go up a several hours a week once I test for my brown belt early next year once I have to start helping with classes.

I’m not sure how I am going to fit that in working 40 hours a week, and still have a like out side of work and the dojang.

Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

12. David Fhu

David Fhu New Member

Hi Dan,

That is a very tight schedule.

Unlike you, my instructor only has one class on Sat evening, and myself still has a lot of other commitments like doing part-time study outside work.

Therefore I can only do self-practice during the rest of my available timing. I am looking way to improve myself as much as possible.

13. Dan

Dan New Member

I don’t have the motivation to self-practice all that much. When I was younger and between dojangs I was better at practicing on my own. Now I find I need the motivation of being in class with others.

Though I am trying to set up a home dojang to do some practice in. As time permits. This would also make it easier to Work on some of this with my daughter at home. (She is also learning song moo kwan at the same studio, and We recently got her mom involved too.)

I have also found that martial arts in general are much more taxing for me now than they were back in college, so the motivation of working out with a group really helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

14. Matt

Matt Member

I think the amount of training does not necessarily mean better or worse, what matters is the quality of your training. You can train 10 hours a week and it can all be pointless, or you can train 3 hours a week and have it all be meaningful. On that note, when I am home from college I typically teach 15 hours a week and train around an additional 5 hours.

15. Gnarlie

Hi David

Read, question, try to figure out how things work mechanically and theoretically. But remember that Taekwondo is primarily a physical skill and needs physical practice to improve.

In my experience, those who take responsibility for their own learning progress much faster and make better Taekwondoin.

16. Gnarlie

Agree. Perfect practice makes perfect. I see a lot of students who don't practice mindfully. Going through the motions doesn't get you there.