How I throw a dolyo chagi ( turning kick)

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by Pleonasm, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

We need a dolyo chagi thread.. Common principles to a great dolyo chagi, in your opinion?

Here's my method of throwing an instep dolyo chagi.

Ready stance MOV_1118_000019.jpg

First step I do, swing the leg forward like a bat slightly off the ground. This is to generate forward momentum more than anything else

MOV_1118_000020.jpg

Chamber and twist

MOV_1118_000020 (2).jpg

Pivot and flick out the foot

MOV_1118_000020 (1).jpg

More to the side

Chamber

MOV_1118_000023.jpg

And kick

MOV_1118_000024.jpg

3. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

Heres good old 80s dolyo chagis. I think both were champions in sparring, not forms....

Looks a bit strange to my eyes.. What part of the foot is the point of impact? Toes? :S

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  4. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

Standing foot turned in. The kicking knee does not cross the centre line before the kick is extended. Hip lifted and turned in. Knee up front chamber for speed. Instep for points, ball of foot for damage. Weight forward, not back.
    Again, I'd recommend looking at both your chamber position pre and post-kick and your upper body position based on the principles above.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

5. Gnarlie

These are essentially photo pose kicks with the upper body in a deliberately incorrect position to allow the face to be seen in the photo. I don't like them, but I see them often, especially on Facebook. Power is lost to poor posture, as is the correct kicking surface.

6. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

Note, not the same kick as pictured.

7. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

Weight forward but not straight forward, like the crouching posture Karatekas have. TKD is forward/to the side, traditionally thrown. (forms competitions are different).

8. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

Common dude, just call it for what it is. Weak kicks.

9. Gnarlie

You might think that. I have little doubt that they can both kick differently when it's not just a photo opp.

10. Gnarlie

Looks more like a sidekick than your sidekick. The foot position is dollyo, the leg action is yeop.

Your knee is crossing the centre line before the power phase of the kick.

11. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

Of course I think that. Their control of the kick is so poor that they lose track of their own foot and its objective.

How do you expect me to improve by only pointing out the negatives? Constructive criticism includes both positive and negative criticism. Otherwise the student is just lost in a sea of flaws. But never mind. I can solve cancer and you will still find something wrong with it.

12. Gnarlie

Working on weaknesses is the fastest route to improvement. Take it or leave it, I'm not here to massage your ego, particularly as you do not afford others the requisite respect and courtesy.

13. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

I'm just saying it's meaningless. Then I reference guys way more credentialed than me, clueless about their own bodymechanics and you blame it on a photo pose. Why not make excuses for me too? I had a bad day at work. There we go. :)

14. Gnarlie

It's more meaningful than any coaching you've had so far judging by the kicks you're showing. Accept it as the gift it is and work on the weaknesses, or ignore it and stay as you are.

15. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

Why do you point point out that My leg action is yeop chagi, and foot dolyo chagi, as if that's a flaw or a bad thing. Modern TKD turning and side kicks kicks are chambered the same way..

16. Gnarlie

No, they aren't. The two basic kicks have very different chambers.

17. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

How is the chambering different between these two instructionals?

18. Gnarlie

How is it not different?

For dollyo chamber, the chest and thigh of the kicking leg are open.

For yeop, they are closed.

Totally different kicking mechanic.

If you can't see this, you don't understand as much as you think you do. I suspect this clouds your judgement.

19. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

Chambering is the tucking in of the kicking leg. You seem to have a different definition.

"The taekwondo roundhouse kick, known as dollyŏ chagi, is performed by first drawing the knee straight up in a "chamber" position. This chamber, identical to the chamber of many taekwondo kicks (front kick, side kick, etc") "

20. Gnarlie

1) Let me explain to you where the word chamber comes from, in case the English language is the issue here. It comes from the action of loading a firearm, ie putting a bullet in the chamber ready to fire. That means the chamber is not complete until the kick can be fired without further rotation of the knee.

2) Referencing your quote - how the knee is raised and rotated in step 2 of the chamber is where a critical difference between the kicks lies.

3) The second big difference is in the rechamber post-kick.

4) The smallest difference between the kicks is the foot shape.

21. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

To be honest, I'm not sure I can kick the way prescriped. But let's have a go, Is this leg formation dolyo?

Attached Files: