How I throw a dolyo chagi ( turning kick)

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by Pleonasm, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

Hard to say from that photo.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Now then:

3. Gnarlie

Half dollyo, half yeop. Look at the video thumbnail for an example of the effect of overrotation.

If you slow down and separate the kick phases, you stand a better chance. Think finesse rather than power - power up later.

4. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

But both the leg and foot is dolyo chagi at the point of impact? It can't be a side kick formation, so all we are left with is some sort of dolyo chagi approximation.

5. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

I can't do that due to inflexibility. The only way for me to analyse the motions is by filming and slow motion the different parts.

6. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Anyway, I think I will drop the kicking arts and stick to boxing. If I can't throw a valid roundhouse kick after 4 years, it's time to call it quits. I would much rather throw a valid crappy one, than an invalid.

7. Peytton Teh

Peytton Teh New Member

I think the hip movement is one of the key points in turning kick and side kick. When we throw a left leg turning kick, our hips simultaneously rotate to the right so that the body will be in a straight line with the finished kicking leg.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  8. Gnarlie

Perseverance.
    The only way? Stretch more regularly, less intensely. From what you said about stretching in other threads, you're trying for results too quickly and hurting your muscles, making you tight next time. Stretch often and less intense.
    I don't believe that you can't do it. I just think you've not had someone to help you enough with understanding the kicks. A kick is just a kick. Then it isn't. Then it is again. Perseverance.

9. Gnarlie

10. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

You don't think I've tried every possible routine over the years? Anyway, concidering that there was no technical instruction on how to throw a dollyo chagi in my club, nobody ever correcting me, I think leaving my current ITF place is no great loss.

My options are Kukkiwon, Kyokushin or a new Boxing gym. Kukkiwon has much more elaborate kicking routines,even for beginners, but I might get actual kicking instructions there... Kyokushin I don't know much about. Their kicking seems to be a blend of Karate and Muay Thai kicks. Boxing intrigues me due to the training culture. My old boxing gym had a sub-par curriculum but the cardio work-out was good and it did wonders for the hands.

11. Gnarlie

I am not convinced that you have had the right mentoring to know what to do to make effective progress. That's not a slight on you. I think you just need better guidance. Finding the right balance of strength and flexibility training is complex and different for every person. You need someone who knows many different approaches to work with you on a dedicated training plan to improve flexibility. There is NOBODY on on this planet who cannot benefit from strength and flexibility training. The problem is, TMA approaches are weak compared to modern sports science supported methods. Forced passive static stretching is just not effective in isolation - even when new range of motion is achieved, the muscles are too weak to control movement within it. Dynamic strength training is key alongside a number of active, dynamic, static and passive exercises.

Sometimes, with the right construction of exercise, little explanation is necessary. But explanation is always of benefit.
    You can get great information to support your ITF kicking from many sources while still training there. Don't let a lack of coaching hold you back. Be humble and ask your instructors and masters for help and tips.

Keep your eyes open for international seminars on the art of kicking, and attend them. Kill your ego and accept the need for change.

12. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Watch the first step of this instructional. https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=154s&v=72TshbPPYGU

There's no way in hell I can do that.

13. Gnarlie

Yet.

Right training and guidance, in one year, absolutely achievable.

14. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Have a look at this one. Is the leg action consistently dollyo chagi here? If it is, I can implement it into my muscle memory.

15. Gnarlie

No, it still isn't right. Your leg action is yeop.

You need some help face to face.