How long does it take for you to learn your patterns?

Discussion in 'Taekwondo Patterns' started by dojo, Apr 21, 2012.

1. dojo

dojo Member

I have met martial artists who can learn a form/pattern in minutes, even if it's pretty complex and others (self included) who need at least few days to get their stuff right and not mess the order of the techniques too much.

How long does it take you to learn your patterns? Minutes? Hours? Days?

2. Kevin

Kevin Administrator Staff Member

I think it really depends on your existing level of experience and whether the new pattern you are learning introduces a lot of techniques you have never performed before. It's very common for people to learn new techniques through learning the pattern they need to learn for their next grade.

If, however, you had learned a lot of those techniques through drills etc in your club, you would probably learn it quicker. It's difficult to put a timescale on it in minutes, hours and days. You could probably learn any new pattern in the one training session but chances are you'd not remember it all fully if you had repeat it the following night. The more you practice a pattern though, the quicker you'll learn it.

3. Leighton

Leighton Member

Difficult question to answer. I could probably learn where you have to move to and what the particular techniques are pretty quickely, but to perfect the patterns I am still trying to do after all these years of training. The key to it is just practice, practice, practice then practice some more. I don't get bored doing patterns either as I find they can be a very good workout if done by themselves.

4. ninjanurse

ninjanurse New Member

Depends on the the form but pretty much can learn the pattern in a few minutes of work....but knowing it takes hours and hours of practice!

Dinkyduda likes this.
  5. Ken Bloomfield

Ken Bloomfield New Member

Hope I'm not too late with this comment but I think you are missing the point, if you'll excuse me from saying so. The point is not how long it takes you to learn a succession of moves but how long it takes you to understand the various potential applications of each move you practice.
    I'm currently 4th Dan and am still discovering new applications for colour belt patterns.
    I suppose what you really should concentrate on as a colour belt is understanding the basic, or a basic application for each move in a pattern. You can then say you have learnt the basics of a pattern.
    Hope this helps and doesn't sound too pretentious.

Dinkyduda likes this.
  6. lynM

lynM Member

Me; it took me weeks for the upper level patterns. Just to learn the movements. It's one of the reasons I like my switch to kickboxing - I only have to remember my combos for 3-6 minutes.

One of my favorite memories is when my son was making "fun" of me because I couldn't seem to learn my BB pattern - I would forget one move as fast as I learned it. To bug me, he learned the whole thing in 12 minutes by watching me and the instructor. Luckily, both my kids are fantastic in remembering strings of movements.

7. lynM

lynM Member

I think your point is valid. Practice is never-ending because learning is never-ending. But the feeling I was getting from the question is just for curiosity sake.

Tony Butcher likes this.
  8. Joe

Joe Member

It isn't about how quickly you can remember the pattern. What IS needed is how well you can recall the pattern, if you learn something fast, then you can rush the importance of each movement inside the pattern. Everything has to be exactly right. As such you are learning basic movements, you need to learn how each movement is held during the transition to the next one.

9. John Hulslander

John Hulslander Active Member

Well, I have been a fifth dan for 3 years and am about a third they way through Sip Jin. Of course my GM is about 3.5 hours away and my focus is more on developing my instructors and Dojang than learning Sip Jin.

10. Gazzer

Gazzer Active Member

oh man... :( it takes me months to get patterns right and Im only blue belt 5th gup (as of today) hope I get better at learning the bigger ones.

11. Brian

Brian Member

Generally I can learn the broad movements pretty quickly, then I can be taught and work on the little things to make it better.

12. dojo

dojo Member

Well, as long as you're working on improving them and are careful with the technique, you'll be better. I recall my first 3-4 katas were a drag to learn and I'd make a lot of mistakes. Then, suddenly, I started picking up the techniques easier and performing better. Your experience will grow, better stances, better stamina, all will start making more sense. So you'll see even more complex forms will be easier to learn than those first simple ones. So don't worry, you'll get there ;)

13. Tony Butcher

Tony Butcher Member

I've got a terrible memory, so learning a pattern can take a while. As lynM suggested, it's vital to not just learn the pattern, but understand what each movement represents. When I started Taekwondo, the club only practiced patterns every 4-6 weeks, so it took me 9 months to learn Pattern One! However, on a visit to another club, a student there showed me how to learn a pattern in "blocks" of movements. I then learned Pattern One that night and have used the technique ever since and use it for my own students. Once they know the patterns, I go over the significance of each move.

lynM likes this.
  14. Jon Sloan

Jon Sloan Member

If learning forms is something you are already perceptive to, it will take a shorter time to complete the memorization stage. Fine-tuning a form is a lifetime effort, and I would much rather watch a traditional forms practitioner execute a flawless looking traditional form, because I know how long it takes to reach that level of skill.

15. MitchG

MitchG Member

Today I worked with a group of Orange Belts on a pattern I have not done since... well, since I was an Orange Belt. Later I had to work with a kid (9 years old if a day) on a Brown Belt pattern that I used to love, but hadn't revisited since I was at that level. It is amazing how differently I see old patterns now as I stare down the Second Dan! I was pleased that even with these patterns that I don't need anymore (Beginner patterns... I still do Tae Gueks every week) I had something to learn.

16. Barry Ballard

Barry Ballard New Member

When I was younger a few days. At 51 depending on its length, a week or two. Now that I dont teach any more I stick with mostly Black Belt forms. My hard drive can only store so much :)

lynM likes this.
  17. Anthony Hayward

Anthony Hayward Active Member

In a sense it doesn't take long to learn the pattern but it takes a life time to master them...Trying to incorporate all the sinewave, hip rotations, correct posture, feet and hand positions, angles, hand revolving, relaxation etc etc etc is what makes the difference from a good pattern to a great pattern...If you can master this on one pattern it will incorporate into all the rest...I have spent years and years on Chon-Ji pattern trying to fix all the little things and I am still know where near happy with it.

18. Chris J

Chris J Active Member

Agree completely, which is why I'll go back to the gup patterns regularly to 're-train' myself. It's easy to learn the moves, my 5th gup student picked up Yul-gok in 20 minutes, he's 13, but will spend the next 4-5 months cleaning it up to grading standard.

19. Todd Pomeroy

Todd Pomeroy New Member

Everyone's different, personally it takes me minutes to learn patterns......but usually a lot longer to polish it to where I am happy with it. The biggest thing I do that helps me learn new patterns is pay attention to the higher belts when they're practicing their patterns. So when you advance to the next Gup you already kind of know it, then get out the shoe rag, it's time to polish.

A quick tip that a 2nd Dan taught me years ago, whenever you have a minute or two why waiting in line or in the elevator or whatever, do the pattern in your mind or even do it with very small movements......this won't help you polish the technique but it will carve the movements into you sub conscience so you don't have to think about which wait you go next or which technique is next......I do it constantly......more the mental pattern, because people tend to send me funny looks when I'l spinning this was and that in the line up at SuperStore :rolleyes:

20. Danielle Khairallah

Danielle Khairallah New Member

If you have a photographic memory, you can in fact learn patterns very quickly. I learned the first 8 in a few days when i was just a blue belt, then went to my instructor and showed him. He advised me to compete in patterns after that.

A trick to learning patterns is first to visualize the shape of that pattern. Each pattern has a starting point that you must return to at the end, so there is a certain shape that it follows. Now that you know the shape, you learn the pattern in steps. Rather than trying to memorize the whole thing at once, learn each set of moves according to their position on that shape, then you'll be able to connect the moves to where they occur in the pattern's shape. Repeating is the best way to learn a pattern.