How many TKD patterns do you know?

Discussion in 'Taekwondo Patterns' started by dojo, Apr 17, 2012.

1. dojo

dojo Member

With many traditional styles, learning katas/forms/patters is a must. In some cases the student knows few of them, but there are experienced martial artists who can perform almost everything in the style. How many patterns do you personally know?

2. Kevin

Kevin Administrator Staff Member

In ITF, patterns are an essential part of the grading system and you have to learn a pattern for each grade to progress (2 or 3 new patterns when you reach black belt level).

I'm 1st Kup so I've learned 11 patterns, though I've tried some of the patterns from higher grades once or twice.

Pat Thomson likes this.
  3. Dean

Dean New Member

I know 12 ITF patterns, 5 WTF patterns, 2 Karate katas and cant wait too learn more!

Melissa likes this.
  4. Shawn

Shawn New Member

I know all 8 WTF Taeguk Patterns, Koryo, and currently working on Keumgang.

5. Kevin

Kevin Administrator Staff Member

I'm an ITF guy but currently training WTF. We've never did patterns before but last week the instructor did a pattern at the end of the class. It looked like a cross between the first two patterns learned in ITF. That's the only time I've seen him doing patterns though I'm hoping he brings it more into the class.

6. Leighton

Leighton Member

I know all the patterns upto and including 1st degree patterns in ITF, not learned any other styles as I'm trying to perfect these

Kyosanim Ray Martel likes this.
  7. Jeff Palmer

Jeff Palmer New Member

I recall doing many ITF patterns up to Red Belt, then I transferred to WTF Taeguk Patterns and as an instructor, I know White through Red belt so far and Keumgang is my most recent; however I do not instruct that pattern!

8. ninjanurse

ninjanurse New Member

WTF here. I have studied both the Palgwe and Taeguek patterns plus the Black Belt poomsae up to Ilyeo. I also practice Chung Moo 3 & 4.

9. Mike Luke

Mike Luke New Member

I know all the pal gwe's, koryo, keumgang, and 2 others, mu il il jang, and mu il ee jang. Not sure where those two are usually learned but i had to know them.

10. HULLTKD

HULLTKD New Member

17 - from 1st kup to 4th Dan...always more to learn

11. John Hulslander

John Hulslander Active Member

I have 28 Hyung/Poomse. Our GM learned Tang Soo Do before it was all pulled together into Taekwondo.

We do the Kee Cho (3) beginner forms
    Pal Guey (8) gup forms
    Pyong Ahn (5) gup forms
    Bassai
    Nahaiji (3) forms
    Sip Zu (spelling?)
    Koryo
    Jin Do
    Keumkang
    Taebek
    Kong Song Keung
    Pyong Won
    Ji On
    Sip Jin (I am about 1/3 rd the way through this form)

12. Master Fahy

Master Fahy Active Member

I have done the Kee Cho forms, Palgwe,Pyong Ahn,Chonji patterns,Taegeuk forms all through Black belt level and WTF Black belt forms through Oh Dan (5th Dan). I studied TangSooDo,TaeKwonDo,Hapkido with Il Dan (1st Dan) Black belts in all with Oh Dan in TaeKwonDo. Studied Karate styles as well. I only train in the Taegeuk forms now.

Erwin likes this.
  13. Chris J

Chris J Active Member

16 - from 10th gup to 2nd Degree including the original version of Kodang

14. Jon Sloan

Jon Sloan Member

Out of the ITF TKD forms, I know all but So-San, and working hard to retain Moon-Moo and Tong-Il in my repetoire of forms, out of the TSD forms, 3 KeeCho Hyung, 5 Pyung-Ahn, and three Chil Sang Hyung. Also working hard to retain Bassai.

15. Matt Parker

Matt Parker New Member

I know ITF forms Chun gi to Gae Baek and I have begun trying to learn the World Hapkido Federation forms as well to throw a wrench into competition since no one ever sees those forms...hehe

Anthony Hayward likes this.
  16. Anthony Hayward

Anthony Hayward Active Member

Sam Il was the last pattern that I learnt..so i guess 16 or 17...same as Chris with Kodang (original ITF 2nd degree pattern)... My favourite however is Do-San 7th kup pattern

17. MichalKosatko

MichalKosatko New Member

I know from Chon-Ji to Sam-Il, the next ones I have already forgotten...but till Sam-Il even with closed eyes in the middle of the night. :)

18. TKDleeds

TKDleeds New Member

24 ITF Tuls 10 WTF patterns & 12 Shotokan kata but that's with 43 years training

John McNally likes this.
  19. Mark 42

Mark 42 Member

20. TKDleeds

TKDleeds New Member

forgot to mention 1 unofficial ITF tull !