How many years do you train for the black belt?

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by dojo, Apr 25, 2012.

1. dojo

dojo Member

In our organization (we do have some pretty tough instructors) you'd receive the black belt (after some grueling exams - well, most exams are grueling, but this is really out of this world) after 9-10 years of constant training. For some this is a little too much, since it's a lot of time to dedicate to your martial arts.

How long is it in your organization/dojang until the student can test for the black belt?

2. Kevin

Kevin Administrator Staff Member

I think the minimum time for ITF students is around 3-4 years. I don't think time should be the issue though. Someone could train everyday for a year and be better than another student who had trained twice a week for ten years. So in that respect, I don't think a minimum training time benefits anyone.

They need to keep exams/gradings tough, then it doesn't matter if someone has trained for 1 year or 10 years. Plus, you need to remember that there are some people out there who have done other martial arts. I don't think it would be fair to say to a student to wait 5 years to sit their black belt test if they had already trained for a long time in another striking art such as Karate or Kickboxing.

3. lynM

lynM Member

I trained consistantly (twice a week) for 4 years to earn the Black Belt test. It was perfectly average timing. My son took alot longer because he kept taking time off. it took me 3 years to get to 2nd dan level, but I have an terrible time remembering my upper level patterns. If my instructor had stayed teaching, I probably would be near to testing for my 3rd dan. But to tell you the truth, I was having so much trouble with my memory that I wasn't sure I wanted to learn it and test again. I was very happy to just practice.

Gongon likes this.
  4. Luke

Luke New Member

At my club if I was selected and passed every grading it would take almost three years to reach blackbelt. In saying that, its not an easy achievement. Firstly you must prove to your instructor that you're ready then pass grading. On many occasions students have been denied by the instructor to attend grading.

5. tkdbunny

tkdbunny New Member

It took me 6 years. My dad is military so we moved alot.

6. Josh

Josh New Member

I am testing for Black Belt this Sept, that will make it 3 1/2 years. 1st dan testing will be one year after that

7. Doug Johnson

Doug Johnson New Member

Four years for 1st Dan. Took the same amount of time to achieve 1st Dan in Hapkido as well.

8. Anthony Dixon

Anthony Dixon New Member

9. dojo

dojo Member

Wow, you guys have really lax BB schedules. I trained 4 times/week (around 3 hours/day) and got only to blue belt (half of the journey). Our organization is really tough on this, that's for sure. My instructors are 'old school' and were never pleased with how we do the classes now, since they used to work even harder. Anyway, I loved every minute of it and, even if I might not get to BB, it doesn't matter. it's an amazing journey as it is

10. GizmoDuck1833

GizmoDuck1833 New Member

I am a member of ATA here in the US and BB is 2 years......... i was astounded when i heard this i've been doing martial arts for 20 years and don't have a single black belt (through moving and being forced to quit etc.) but the norm i saw was 4 years if your instructor didn't stop you from testing for whatever reason.

11. Leighton

Leighton Member

I was always told learning TKD is a marathon not a sprint! It shouldn't matter how long it takes, it will just mean alot more to you when you get there. Also it can be one hell of a journey :)

Mwanaupanga and Charlotte Craig like this.
  12. Kyle

Kyle New Member

I can agree that most people in ATA have a rather lax attitude to getting their 1st dan BB. On average it takes 2 1/2 to 3 years, taking 2 classes a week until reaching our Black Belt recommended, which then for about 6 months it takes 4 classes a week to earn.

I'm testing for my BB this august slightly over my 2 year mark, however my training schedule is similar to yours 4 days a week for about 2 hours a day.

13. Lorna

Lorna New Member

I started taekwondo when I was 8 years old, it took me just under 4 years to achieve my 1st Dan black-belt (so I was 12), I then was awarded my 2nd Dan two years later (14 years old). I've recently just turned 18 and I am taking my 3rd Dan grading in 2 weeks time...hopefully I'll pass :')

14. Brian

Brian Member

It took me three years to get my black belt, but I did miss a most of a year due to a knee injury. Of course, I did make almost every class offered and helped teach many too.

15. Spirit Eagle

Spirit Eagle New Member

In my first dojo, it was on an average of about 2 1/2 years, I achieved mine in 18 months, but I trained 4 nights a week. I remember walking into the dojo with my Red belt draped over my shoulder and Master Joo telling me, "Swann! You test today!" So, I tested and walked out with my first Dan in hand, 10 months later he held a special testing for his LOYAL students and promoted 5 of us to higher belts and placed us over the Jacksonville, FL dojo ( was among those tested) and like that I was a Ee Dan (this was 1992) I begin my training in October of '86.

16. Jon Sloan

Jon Sloan Member

It actually took me 7 years, but most of that was due to switching styles, re-training, and taking 6 months off after graduating college.

17. Barry Ballard

Barry Ballard New Member

It depends. Mostly on the talent of the teacher and the "Want to " of the student. Two to three years with a GOOD teacher. :)

18. Christina

Christina New Member

I can test in 2013. I just received my brown in April...can test for red in six months/september/octoberish....not sure that I will be ready...I have been helping in the children's classes so that I can refresh my memory since I am a "terrible" student about writing down the material. I know, I know! I will prolly end up photo copying someone's book...to study....:) I really do have a bad memory so the best way for me to practice is to help with the classes. All told, it will be closer to four years for me, for just the black.

lynM likes this.
  19. Spirit Eagle

Spirit Eagle New Member

What forms style(Poomse) are you doing (Taeguk? Palgwe?)

20. MitchG

MitchG Member

I am probably an anomaly, but I tested for my Black Belt in 17 months. With that being said, I had a lot of martial arts background outside of Taekwondo, and I am able to learn patterns very easily... or at least I was for the lower belts. From the first month through my 3rd Gup (Red) I tested every month, from 3rd Gup to 2nd Gup (Black/White Stripe) I had to wait two, fron 2nd to 1st Gup (Black/Red Stripe) I waited another two. From there to Black Belt Excellence I waited four months.

I was very lucky. My organization is chiefly geared toward teaching kids, and at my Yellow Belt test one of the Masters introduced himself to me, and from that day I worked under his (and another Master's) direct supervision. I did the regular class with the group and then did another class (or two) with one or both of them working on technique, patterns, and discipline. To this day I recognize that without Master McLeod and Beis I would have taken another year (or two) to achieve it.

So I tested for Black Belt Excellence on June 12, 2010. In sixteen days (June 2, 2012 - two years minus ten days later) I will test for my Second Dan Black Belt. It has been tough, and until last week I was not sure that I would be ready. I'm still not... but I am going to do my best and G-d (and GrandMaster) willing, I will earn the new belt!