How many years do you train for the black belt?

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by dojo, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Norts

Norts New Member

Mitch,

I really found your info interesting and did some research. I started many years ago and the school (WTF) I went to were doing the Palgwe forms. Later, these were switched to the current Taegeuk forms (of course right before my black belt test) [[this school was Jidokwan]].

There were 9 basic Kwans after the war and each was unique; having similar and different focuses (for instance, WTF and ITF forms). I was also at another school that taught the much earlier TKD Puinyong Heian forms (sorry, I do not remember exactly how they are spelled) as well as Basai Dai (Bal Seak) [[this school was Mu Duk Kwan]]. The additional forms you mention; Chon Ji and the others are early forms that, from as far as I can tell, were taught by Jhoon Rhee. Somewhere in your lineage, there must have been influence or direct contact with The Great Master himself. I have his books from 1971 and they are in the set. Very interesting.

By chance, do you know what kwan your instructors were from?

2. Norts

Norts New Member

Anyway sorry, I went off on a tangent for the conversation.

I agree with Daniel and Mitch, the road traveled is not measured in time! We are continually asked about time related to belt testing and black belt. We have set our goal for 3-years. We then follow this up with a statement that this is the ultimate goal, provided you train continually with 100% effort, inside and outside of the dojang. This is NOT a definite time-frame and it may take longer based upon each students effort and determination.

I have come across two sayings that express this concept:

1) One's own natural ability will determine the amount of time it takes to reach an advanced level.

2) Students need to be less concerned with how long it takes to develop their skills and more concerned with the effort they apply acquiring them.

3. Christina

Christina New Member

p Palgwe is the forms I think :) I am currently tjil jung.

4. amr

amr New Member

Back to the original topic, 7 years to attain 1st Dan. I must be a slow learner. The norm in my club seems to be around 3 years if you train continually twice a week.

5. The Outsider

The Outsider New Member

I started training in the early-mid 1980s in a Kukkiwon TKD/Hapkido school. It a little over 3.5 years to make 1st dan, but this included a lot of Hapkido technique requirements. We trained 4-5 days a week for about 1.5 hrs per day (1 hr class + .5 hr solo practice)

My 9 year old will be grading this month for Deputy Black in a Kukkiwon sport focused dojang, and she started exactly 2 years ago. She trains 6-8 hours a week (2 hrs regular class + 4 hrs fight team practice + 1-2 hrs home practice).

She already fights in black belt division in local tournaments and does pretty well so I think she's ready...

6. RTKDCMB

RTKDCMB Active Member

In RTKD here is no specific set time for any black belt promotions and it is not based on the amount of time you train. It has more to do with the quality of the student. The technique has to be correct, you have to know all of your previous patterns and you have to have the right attitude and spirit. I have seen students who did not get their black belt that night simply because they did not kihap properly at the time (not enough spirit). For myself it took 2 years and 4 months (it would have been a month earlier except for a pilot strike that prevented master Rhee from flying over). I trained 2 times a week and went to every senior belt training session that was offered. I went to every grading and passed with flying colors because I always trained hard, followed every instruction, constantly worked on my technique and always had the the correct attitude.

The amount of time other students training for black belt varies with the student. The least amount of time taken to my knowledge was 18 months but he was very good and trained very hard. One student was on 1st kup for 10 years because he was not a very good student and trained intermittently and never had the right mindset. Some of the younger students will train for 5 years or more just for junior black belt. It may take 5 or 6 years for them to get to first dan. About 4 years is the average for 1st dan but for 2nd dan and above it is much longer.

It usually takes about 15 years of continuous training and teaching to gain 1st dan but it can take 25 years or more. Only instructors who have been teaching and promoting the art for several years can be invited to grade for 2nd dan or above. To reach 3rd dan from 2nd dan is about 5 years. From 3rd to 4th is about 10-25 years so you will not find any 4th dan in the entire organization who has been training for less than 30 years. My instructor was awarded his 4th dan 35 years after he began his training.

7. terry oneil 1

terry oneil 1 New Member

in my organisation you can grade up to blue belt every 3 months minimum then 6 months minimum for senior coloured belt grades

8. Scotty P

Scotty P Member

About the same as ours. I've got a little under two years in and I'm a blue belt. I'm figuring another two years to reach black belt.

9. colin french

colin french New Member

My daughter and I Should be grading in March for 1st dan we'll have been training for 2 1/2 years then patterns needed for this are chil jang psl jang and koryo

10. michael mckenna

michael mckenna Active Member

I would say take as long as possible too get to blackbelt as blackbelt is just mastery of the basics. Im at green belt blue stripe and plan to take 3 more years till blackbelt then id be almost 24 lol

11. Peter

Peter New Member

In our school (as I've figured recently) there's minimum requirement of 3 years. First two years you train 3 times a week minimum. Starting from certain level, there is additional class dedicated solely to sparring. (It's still not too much, because it's mostly 50-55 minute classes.) Then, there is a requirement to participate in national competitions, which is effectively adding another class during your normal week. Then, when you become what they call "deputy black belt" (red belt with black strip, whatever), you train, um, 5-6 times a week as many hours as you can stay in dojang - typically, that's your third year.
    (Did I mention, they also recommend all the time to practice at home? ;))

I've heard about another school in our area with more or less same requirements, so I would assume it's quite typical. My guess would be, no people with normal school/work load can afford this schedule, unless they take TKD really seriously.