How much of Joe Rogans KKW background is still evident in his roundhouse kick

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by Pleonasm, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

I'm very curious about this. Any TKDoin worth his salt will tell you that point of impact is not what makes or break a TKD dolyo chagi (even kicking with the shin in some circumstances).

That being said.. Was his roundhouse in any way modified since leaving TaeKwondo in the early 90s? He never mentioned if he revamped his kicks when competing in Kickboxing 3 times.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  3. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

It doesn't look like he is chambering it, but it doesn't look like a Muay Thai roundhouse either going by his posture and set up (or is it?):

4. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

The power generation ist TKD ie the step and hip action. The kick ist MT.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

5. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Ehm.. the leg carries more mass than the foot... if he connected with the instep or ball of the foot, all else equal, the kick would be less powerful.

6. Gnarlie

Not sure what you read into my post, but whatever it is, it wasn't in the post.

7. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

You wrote that the power generation is TKD. The power would be reduced significantly if he kicked with the foot.

8. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

or did you mean the power generation isn't? You wrote "ist".

9. Gnarlie

The power generation is TKD.

10. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

I again, if it wasn't for the shin as point of impact, it wouldn't have been even nearly as powerful. Do you know enough about Muay Thai to rule out that his hip action and step isn't compatible with their roundhouse kicks?

11. Gnarlie

Yes. I haven't even mentioned the contact surface, I don't know why you have fixated on it. The step and hip are both TKD through and through.

12. Gnarlie

The kick not being fully chambered is MT, although a similar short dollyo exists in TKD, it is closer chambered to allow the foot to contact.

13. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Because the contact surface contributes more to the power than anything else.

14. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Again, so what about it is TKD then? It is not chambered, it is not the standard contact surface(s), it is not rechambered. I don't know enough about Muay Thai to rule out that he just threw a Muay Thai roundhouse kick from start to finish. My question is: do you?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  15. Gnarlie

It really doesn't.

16. Gnarlie

As I already said, the step and power generation are pure Kukki. The cut across step and the timing of the hip roll compared to the knee raise are the markers.

Yes. I've been around a bit.

17. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Which is common sense kicking mechanics. How is the Muay Thai roundkick is any way different in that regard? The "western" or Dutch muay Thai roundhouse, not their old stiff legged roundhouse..

18. Gnarlie

If it were common sense everyone would be doing it.

Note that the other kicker in video is not employing the same step or hip motion.

19. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

It's common sense in a full contact context. The other guy named Joe Schilling is doing most things wrong and is by his own admission not much of a kicker.

20. Gnarlie

Meh. Nothing left to discuss here. You asked a question, I answered it and now you want to argue. Done.

21. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

You did not answer how the hip movement in Muay Thai roundhouse differs, putting to rest whether it's an accidental overlap or not. If you think Joe Schilling performs a correct Muay Thai roundhouse kick, you must not have seen much. He is completely irrelevant to this thread.