How much of Joe Rogans KKW background is still evident in his roundhouse kick

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by Pleonasm, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

This is a forward hip push as in apdollyo chagi. The MT roundhouse does not use it.

The step is also footwork borne of full contact WTF sparring in the 90s. It has a name and was developed as part of that game. It's on the ball of the foot, is linear, stays close to the ground and the standing foot turns late to open hip. MT turns earlier and does not use that step.

I never said Schilling kicked correctly. I used him to demonstrate that your assertion that the step and hip were common sense mechanics was patently false.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

LOL. I have seen laymen kick better than he did. He didn't even position himself correctly to the machine.

3. Gnarlie

Then not common sense, is it?

And yet he's pulling 116 to JR's 130...

4. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

It's common sense for people who know what they are doing. One can throw a "soccer kick" just as hard when you got big legs and connect with the shin instead of the foot.. His kick is terrible.

5. Gnarlie

So, not common then.
    Shin contact has absolutely no influence on kick power - only on the surface area that power is spread over. For a measuring machine test against a target that doesn't measure that surface area (which this doesn't), it makes no difference.

Anyway, back on topic, JR's kick in the video has elements of both TKD and MT as would be expected. In terms of power, it's OK. Seen better tho.

6. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

I don't think his kick is anything special either.

7. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Here you go Gnarlie. Please tell me how it's any different from the one Rogan threw:

8. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

His husky is adorable:D

9. Gnarlie

Already did.

10. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

To be fair, Rogans highest score was 152, the current record in the place it's at.

152 was more what I would expect.