How Often Do You Practice Your Patterns?

Discussion in 'Taekwondo Patterns' started by Kevin, Apr 2, 2012.

?

How Often Do You Practice Your Patterns?

1. Every day

33.9%
  2. Every two days

25.0%
  3. Twice a week

30.4%
  4. Once a week

10.7%
  5. Never - I hate patterns!!!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Kevin

Kevin Administrator Staff Member

I was curious as to how often members practice their patterns - either themselves or at their club. Years ago we used to practice patterns twice a week at my club (there were only two classes per week) though this was later reduced to once a week to make more time for sparring, self-defence etc.

I used to hate practising patterns though over the last few years I've come to appreciate how good they can be for improving the technique of your kicks, punchs etc.

So how often do you currently practice your Taekwondo patterns?

Kevin

2. Isabella

Isabella New Member

I practice my patterns every two days, (the most I can) one friend recommended me this video to star:

I find it really hepful to me. (Im a beginner).

Lanny likes this.
  3. Kevin

Kevin Administrator Staff Member

Watching videos to learn patterns is a great way to speed up your development as it's common for everyone, not just beginners, to forget all the steps. I would note however that many organisations have slightly different variations of the patterns.

Even within an organisation such as ITF you will find big differences between groups that come under the ITF banner. There's differences between countries too. You should be able to find a video from someone within your organisation though :)

4. Aika

Aika New Member

When I was not working I used to train a lot (every day) . Now Im working so I train on weekends I would like to train more but I dont have time now. Im a bit sad about it.

5. Etsuko

Etsuko New Member

@Aika: happens with me too I dont have too much time, I use to train more when I was studying now I finished my career I found a full time job my day off is on Sunday...I am thinking to go to Asia on holidays to practice and learn more...

6. Hiroko

Hiroko New Member

I´m a black belt. I´ve been training taekwondo for over all my life. I started when I was a child (9 years) I´m teaching taekwondo in a club close to my town. Always I tell to my students these important tips to begin:
    1. Go easy at the beginning.
    2.Your attitude to taekwondo training is very important
    3. Get the basics right
    4. Your Tkd Patterns are not just something to learn before your belt test
    5. Give taekwondo sparring a go as soon as you can
    6.If your instructor gives you the chance to do a taekwondo competition - take it
    7. Stretch as much as you can
    8.Make sure you get enough sleep
    9.Here's something for you to remember...Taekwondo is tough.
    10. Have Fun! :)

7. dojo

dojo Member

When I was actively training, I'd do my katas (our 'patterns') at least 2 times a week. Tried to integrate them in every class. If we'd just do sparring for instance, I'd give myself few minutes after the class to practice the patterns, show them to some smaller rank students I was helping learning the technique etc.

John Couture and Kevin like this.
  8. Shawn

Shawn New Member

My son and I try do all the poomse's we know once a day, along with the one or two poomse classes each week where we work on our new one.

9. ninjanurse

ninjanurse New Member

Most of them I do everyday, a few of them I do multiple times a day. When I am training for competition I pick one to focus on each day.

10. lynM

lynM Member

Never enough. I am embarrassed to say I probably can't remember most of them on my own anymore. I've mentioned my memory in other posts, but I seriously could learn some moves in class, go home and less than an hour later not remember them. (It's awful, don't get old.)

11. Jon Sloan

Jon Sloan Member

When I teach a new hyung/tul, I go through the whole form with the student, then emphasize the first half for them to work on. I agree, teach the form gradually, but I like to lead students through the entire form just to get a feel for it.

lorraine likes this.
  12. John Hulslander

John Hulslander Active Member

I do five forms a day at random. I do this every day except Sunday.
    When in test mode this moves up to 8-9 a day.

13. Gazzer

Gazzer Active Member

I practice when Im working lol but I also watch youtube videos a lot on the one im learning at the time, but alas I too have a bad memory and can only remember the two that I need to know :confused: for grading, dunno how Im gonna go when I get to blackbelt grading lol

lynM likes this.
  14. lynM

lynM Member

I've been there, I feel for you. If I was asked to start somewhere in the middle, I'd get my left/right confused or forget if I was at the first time or the second time moving to the right, etc. Sometimes, it seemed that the more I practiced, the less I could remember in class. But it always worked out in testing.

15. Daniel Sullivan

Daniel Sullivan New Member

I try to do pumse at least once a day for about an hour. I don't always do all of them, but I always do at least some of them.

16. Chris J

Chris J Active Member

I especially like No.9
    I tell my students:
    "There is nowhere that says Taekwon-do is easy, so why complain that it's hard"

17. NikHall89

NikHall89 New Member

Back when I was practicing I would do them 7 or 8 tumes a day, every day. I am just now getting to practice again, but I can say I've officially gotten through one every day for nearly a week, not that they look that great and no where near acceptable for a belt test

18. Master Fahy

Master Fahy Active Member

I do all the odd number poomse on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and the even numbers on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday leaving Sunday open to relax. Master Fahy

19. Ted Martin

Ted Martin Member

Everyday I try to run thru all of my patterns as a mental reminder. These quick run thru's are not for power or even proper technique but as mental challenges. On training days I work on format and power.​
    I found when teaching beginner / intermediate students the easiest way to ensure retention is to have them (in there own words) tell me what move and position they are to got to next before executing the movement. (Example : in walking stance turn to your left with a low block left leg forward). This builds a metal association with the movement and the mind....

20. lorraine

lorraine Member

Like John , when i teach a form i like to go through it all from beginning to end explaining each technique thoroughly so that they can see what they are in for.However the only way they will remember it and that goes for me too, is to learn it in blocks, so the 1st few moves repeated over and over then the next few moves etc...When you are learning a new form its important to repeat it over and over even if not physically you can visualise yourself doing it.Once its firmly in your memory you can start to perfect it.Thats the hard part!

lynM likes this.