I have quit my club.

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by james driscoll, Sep 28, 2015.

1. I have decided to quit my club after tonight`s grading. I was very nervous going for my black tag and when it came to presentation time one of the instructors said to me "Were keeping yours" for which the owner and another instructor laughed in front of all the other students. I felt very humiliated and so I have made the decision to leave. I have put blood sweat and tears into getting this far and am not prepared to tolerate that level of un professionalism from so called "Martial artists". My former aikido sensei would never dream of speaking to another student in this manner. Sure there is general banter but not like this. Obviously I am not liked for some reason.

Maybe the owner and his so called instructors should read and review the five tenets of the art.

tinafey likes this.
  2. akisbat

akisbat Member

There are bad people everywhere. Unfortunately there are many in martial arts too. I think you have made a good decision , remembering what you said in the past.

So you are off to a new beggining ? Searching for a new (and better) Dojang ?

3. Well I have one more to go and am not giving up now. Just need to find a better dojang.

4. akisbat

akisbat Member

Go for it ! Good luck to you sir !

5. canadiankyosa

canadiankyosa Active Member

I have been tempted a couple of times to leave because of our grandmasters hypocrisies and double talk. I have been looking into dvds for distance training from other HKD associations, as well. I am not going to leave my present master instructor because of the asinine behaviour of an association head who "runs a tight ship with no politics".

Good luck, sir, and may you find the club that makes you family instead of a pay cheque.

6. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

A piece of advice James, it may be too late and may not change your mind, but you need to know this:

If you change Dojangs now, the new instructor will have to get to know you and your Taekwondo before he or she can confidently put you forward for your first dan. This will cause a delay in your progress, and is likely to affect your motivation unless you are very committed to skill over belts.

Secondly, if you stay to get your first dan, you will get a Kukkiwon certificate, and after that, your first dan will be internationally recognised and you can go anywhere and join in, and nobody can take it away from you.

It may not affect your decision, but you need to know the facts. It is your choice and I suspect you are doing the right thing based on your posts here.

7. My decision is the final one. I took up martial arts to help boost my confidence and self respect not to have it shattered by the very people who are there to help me grow it. Skill is more important than a belt so I can wait. I have done well to stick the club this long.

I have been bullied all of my life. No more.

8. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

Good for you.

I would encourage you not to do anything to burn your bridges though, the Taekwondo world is unfortunately small sometimes, especially in Europe. People from the past have a nasty habit of turning up later, sometimes in positions of power. Some things are best left unsaid and vote with your feet.

Onwards and upwards. PM me if you ever find yourself in Germany.

9. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

I for one support your decision James.

From your previous posts it was clear that you weren't happy where you were. Frankly liked or not liked there is no excuse for the behaviour you stated.

Calling it quits can be a tough thing, sometimes we have to take a step back and ask ourselves honestly if we are getting something from the situation..

Can I just ask did you fail the grading? What did they mean by the statement?

10. I passed 1st kup last night. I failed the last one I did. I wont burn any bridges. I will achieve my goal of first dan, just not there.

11. Thank you

12. John Hulslander

John Hulslander Active Member

I would say this.
    I don't know the entire situation, and I am not here to say atta boy, or to say that you are in the wrong. That would be presumptions on my part.

What I will say is this, at that level how will you answer when a new prospective Master or Grand Master asks why you left your dojang when you were so close to first dan.

13. One word. Bullying. This is not the first instance I have wrote about such things on here. I have been in contact with a new club here in the uk and they seem great and a lot more professional so for the I will go with that. I am a human being at the end of the day and I can only go on my feelings and unfortunately my gut feelings are usually the right ones.

tinafey likes this.
  14. Raymond

Raymond Active Member

If you have to explain why you left your old club, I wouldn't say bullying or tell the long story. Just say you felt like you outgrew the culture of that club and it was time to continue your path elsewhere. That is very normal amongst martial artists and why most of us will have several masters who we will credit our abilities to as we become old and gray :)

15. JoeP

JoeP New Member

Don't let it get you down there are some good teachers out there. Don't let one jerk ruin it for you.

tinafey likes this.
  16. Thank you guys. On reflection I guess I did outgrow the club. I took what I could from it and your right. As an approaching 1st dan I guess the path to martial greatness is sometimes a long and winding one, with many masters along the way.

JoeP likes this.
  17. Raymond

Raymond Active Member

Even with instructors I really don't think fondly of, I still won't say anything negatively about them to my current instructors or training partners.

18. And neither will I. He and his instructors taught me what I know now and for that I am thankful. I never know when I might see him or meet him again so for me its is a case of move on and don't burn bridges. He has done my no harm at all.....just outgrown the club is all. I might need his club in the future you never know.

19. Raymond

Raymond Active Member

Yup, that's the way to see it :) Good luck!

20. Cheers. Just have to keep up my practice at home until I can join a new club in January.