If you don't___________it's not TKD

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by Finlay, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

Years ago when I was practicing baguazhang my teacher would often say that if I didn't do certain things, breathing, grounding, weight shifting, in a certain way then it wasn't baguazhang. Got me thinking what things would you say, if you don't _________ it's not TKD

canadiankyosa likes this.
  2. canadiankyosa

canadiankyosa Active Member

tkd, hapkido, etc are all just names really. Some include a syllabus that others do not (hkd vs karate, aikido (kenjutsu based) vs tkd), etc. To me they are all just words.

3. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

right but they do have a meaning, if some one said that they did Aikido then stapped on a par of boxing gloves to demonstrate their techniques then there would be an issue there.

equally if some one held a class in a kicking through a martial art called TKD, then for the whole class demonstrated throws and ground fighting. there would be a disconnect from what.

it maybe all fighting and in the past some style may not have had names, however these days they have names and identities that help us choose where to go to learn new skills.

Going by what you said any good fighter or person proficient in a different art could walk in wipe the floor with everyone and leave with a black belt on the same day. if the name truely don;t mean anything to you and there is no meaning to the names they whay have techniques or principles of an individual art at all?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
    canadiankyosa likes this.
  4. canadiankyosa

You basically hit the nail on the head. Names for anything are only for identification and marketing. What I am getting at, and failed to say, I think, is that the words really mean nothing because different schools of the same art may just train a different syllabus than another, but does not make it not such and such an art (tkd, hapkido, aikido, etc.) Because Steven Seagal teaches a street oriented art with kicking and punching, does that mean it is not aikido?

5. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

Steven Segal also hold dan grades in karate and kendo. if he teach that in his aikido that is a good thing. but he still teaches aikido to the basic principles of aikido

it is fine to have different interprtation of an art but it should still have basic princples of the art.refering back to baguazhang there is tens maybe even a hundred interpretations of the art but they still adhere to the same basic prinples similar with taiji.

like it or not we have styles and have had styles for a long long time.

if you don't care about names and styles why do you wear the costume that you have in your pic, why do you bother having a name to your style, why not just tell people that you can teach them how to fight open your door and accpet all comers?

6. darylb11005

darylb11005 New Member

As far as what technical skills are identified as TKD, a part of me would like to believe that any sound martial technique, whether it be kicking, punching, striking, blocking, clinching, grappling, ground-fighting, use of weapons and defense against weapons, would constitute TKD. However, there are certain things I would come to expect of a martial art labeled as TKD. If someone was demonstrating a martial art they claimed to be TKD but lacked certain fundamental traits, I would be skeptical (though never rule out completely) that what they are doing is TKD. These traits might include:

- A moderate-to-large repertoire of kicking techniques.
    - A preference to keep a higher, narrower, more mobile stance versus a lower, wider, rooted stance.
    - A preference to use striking techniques to subdue an attacker.
    - When striking, a preference to use, when feasible, a kicking technique over a hand technique.
    - When kicking, a preference to use, when feasible, a jumping or spinning kick.

At least that is my personal take what TKD is from a technical standpoint (though not an exhaustive list). When I say "a preference to" I mean just that. Preference does not mean an exclusion of other options. I would not expect a TKD practitioner to never opt to use a hand technique or never close to clinching range and take an opponent to the ground when those techniques might be more appropriate than a kick. Nor would I expect a TKD practitioner to neglect to use a basic roundhouse kick versus a jumping, spinning variant when the basic technique is more appropriate. But I do feel the specific preferences I detailed above distinguish TKD from other martial arts, and without these preferences I would have to stop and question if TKD is an appropriate label for what is being done (though again, I would never rule it out completely).

7. Mark 42

Mark 42 Member

If you don't Practice, it's not TKD. ;)

If you don't sweat....

8. canadiankyosa

And many of the principles are in many other systems and styles. The rule is that the body only moves and bends so many ways. So, what is done in one will be done in others.

Just because I train in an art with a name does not mean that I have to give a damn about names. I did not name it, someone else did. I like the uniform in the picture because it is somewhat historical Korean general's doeboek without being gaudy like the one's many grandmasters feel a need to wear (Kuk Sool's Suh and Hwarang Lee Joo Bang). Each art can have something to make it distinct. Tkd has the kicks as hapkido does. Hapkido also has the joint and pressure point manipulation that tkd and karate do not focus on.

Names are put to arts, originally, because schools wanted to be known by the reputation they built. The same thing today, but the reputation is called marketing. Shot kan did not have a name in Okinawa. When Funakoshi brought Okinawate to Japan, he gave it the name Shoto House (House of Shoto). The same with Goju Ryu. It had not name until a student (and instructor) of Myagi sensei did a demonstration in Japan (I believe). When he returned to Myagi sensei and told him what he had done, Chosun sensei adopted it to his system. So, names are a marketing tool, for the most part. As stated, it makes it recognizable to the ones in the know, of course.

9. Josh

Josh New Member

If you don't get kicked in the knads....it's not TKD :)

Bochica, bowlie, Rugratzz and 2 others like this.
  10. canadiankyosa

rflmao

I am guessing I am in a form of tkd now, too? We should call it KSHPDKSBTKD now?

Josh likes this.
  11. Josh

Josh New Member

Lol...maybe! :) I've trained for 12 yrs, 3 different martial arts...and have never been kicked there more times than TKD practice :)

12. Chris J

Chris J Active Member

If you don't fall on your arse practising a flying side kick, it's not TKD.

bowlie likes this.
  13. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

If you don't disable the comments on youtube, it's not Taekwondo.

bowlie likes this.
  14. Rugratzz

Rugratzz Active Member

Brought tears to my eyes

RR

Josh likes this.
  15. michael mckenna

michael mckenna Active Member

if you dont practice your hyung its not taekwondo

16. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

If you're not consistently surprised by just how bad your armguards can smell, it's not TKD

michael mckenna likes this.
  17. Josh

Josh New Member

It's because we're all thinking the same thing- & we're all thinking of the time it happened to each of us ;)