Interesting learning experience

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by Evildwarf, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Evildwarf

Evildwarf Member

I started studying several different martial arts with the aim of rounding out my fight game. I studied Jeet Kune Do and Khali, began boxing and Muay Thai and recently returned to my TKD dojang for a sparring session and discovered a most interesting phenomena. Instead of a fluid and dynamic cross pollination of styles I was largely paralyzed by over thinking as I shifted mentally from one style or attribute to another. I would adjust the style according to a strategic aim so to speak but the overall result was not what I had anticipated. "Too many minds" (great line from the Last Samurai). The differing styles are fun and weaving them together will take way more skill and training than I have now but it is a worthy pursuit.
  3. Mario Ray Mahardhika

Mario Ray Mahardhika Active Member

Uniting multiple disciplines isn't something that can magically happen, especially if your level of expertise are not even. In my experience, I learn other martial arts with TKD in mind, hence I basically always think in TKD (my intention was only to find out how TKD should react in order to counter their movements), but my automatic movement might be influenced by other martial arts. This is how other styles help in TKD sparring. If you learn them individually, where each grows on its own, but you use anything other than TKD in a TKD sparring, you will face difficulty as you have to adapt the movements into TKD sparring rules, which might not always fit. This gets worse as you already know TKD rules. For instance, you might react automatically using elbow strike as commonly used in Muay Thai, but your mind knows it is forbidden in TKD sparring, hence your body refrains from using it, making you paralyzed at that very moment, where your opponent might hit right away.
  4. Evildwarf

Evildwarf Member

Yes good thoughts....I totally get what you mean by being paralyzed in the moment, there is a moment in time where the body cannot react because the brain is in a the way....
  5. Shawchert

Shawchert New Member

I don't think I could practice multiple martial arts at once or at different times! So I envy you in there. I know a few people who are actually doing multiple ones all at once, and it's crazy!! But I can see why you would do it by this post, especially if you end up finding yourself in a situation outside the dojang!

I could have swore I posted this reply last night... it was still here ... so I must not have :(
  6. akisbat

akisbat Member

I saw this post just now and I have to say it is the best I have encountered this last year. There aree interesting points and I see how one can get "paralyzed". We were sparring without rules the other day , no gear or anything and I ducked to avoid a punch to the head... thats when a knee hit my head :p . I believe it takes a great deal of training in order to be able to distinct between fighting with different (or no) rules. Same thing goes in using different styles.
  7. spinningkick

spinningkick New Member

I think it's good to train other styles and it will definitely help you, but you might be better off focusing on one other style in addition to Taekwondo so you don't overload yourself.
  8. Evildwarf

Evildwarf Member

Yes, learning multiple disciplines at once has proven to be a largely fruitless exercise (for me, others may have more success.)
    Differing arts are fascinating when juxtaposed on the mat. Some styles are similar (TKD, karate) and the kinesthetics of one mesh with the other. But some arts require such different body positioning and movement that they actually seem to undermine performance in opposing arts. Example....I am having a tough time developing my fighting posture in Thai Thai. Body position, chambering and executing techniques, all different than TKD. As soon as I'm stressed (fatigued, defending) I begin to revert to a TKD stance and movement modality. My Muay Thai coach says that my TKD training undermines my Muay Thai learning because the basic "muscle memories" that have come from the years of training in one style need to be replaced by new basic skills. I don't want to lose the TKD but I do want to learn and develop a new skill set.
    So I'm concentrating on Muay Thai and kick boxing...(not the cardio kick boxing with jazzy music and hyped up trainers at the local LA Fitness) the hardcore get bruised and pummeled kick boxing...reminds me of K1 fights I used to watch.
    Learning a martial art requires development of the core (basic) skills; repetition of the core skills allows for mastery of more advanced (compound) skills. Back to basics!
  9. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

I think you are viewing it in a way too narrow lens. Even if you don't cross-pollinate different styles in your TKD sparring, your boxing training surely equip you with refined motor skills for punching, even if you don't use any of your taught boxing in your punching. Thus cross-training is multipurpose. I have the exact opposite experience to you. Cross-training in boxing has resulted in me punching more fluently, faster and harder than if I only did TKD, and I still punch the TKD way in TKD sparring
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  10. Evildwarf

Evildwarf Member

I appreciate your thoughts and insight and I am beginning to see the "cross pollination" occurring. The boxing and Thai boxing skills are beginning to mesh organically with TKD but I had to stop thinking about it and relax into the training.
    Boxing and Muay Thai is helping my concept of range and my footwork has improved. Certainly not all skills translate directly from one art to the next (stances and body positioning being very dissimilar between western boxing and TKD, Muay Thai and western boxing seem to share more similarities) but the awareness of the body mechanics (pivots, hip movement, weight shifting, head/shoulder positioning) is great learning and has greatly increased my fluidity of movement across the several arts.