Is this an OK spinning side kick?

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by Pleonasm, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

I'm basically winging it. It's not a technique taught in the dojang (mixed classes due to low interest/popularity). I will get to it later. I'm a red belt at the time of writing. unsure if I care to grade further.

What are the strong points? What are the weak points? Stuff like that.

3. Gazzer

Gazzer Active Member

Its a back kick....

4. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

No it's not. A back kick has the toes and knee pointing down, like a donkey kick. A spinning side kick has the foot and leg shaped like a normal side kick.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  5. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  6. canadiankyosa

canadiankyosa Active Member

Some tkd schools call this a back kick. Kuk Sool Won calls it a back side kick.

7. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

I pulled a WTF illustration. He/she purports to be WTF. This leads inevitably to the question what they call a spinning side kick, if not the one i just did?

8. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Back side kick is a fine terminology for me. But it's certainly not a back kick.

9. Gazzer

Gazzer Active Member

I see people kicking in all different ways... still kicking behind you which seems like a back kick.

10. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

That's not how TKD terminology works, lol.

11. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

It's a back kick.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

12. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

13. Gnarlie

Well it is

14. Mario Ray Mahardhika

Mario Ray Mahardhika Active Member

Back kick has two variants: side kick form (toes pointed outward) and straight kick form (toes pointed downward). The video is too fast, both in duration and ending (if you want someone to correct you, shot in slow motion at least at 120fps), though from a quick glance it seems correct if back side kick was the target.

15. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

This is from wiki
    • Reverse side kick (반대 옆 차기 bandae yeop chagi): This kick is similar to the back kick, except the body turns further, allowing the heel to hit the target with the foot pointing to the side as in a regular side kick, instead of downward as in a true back kick.

16. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Regardless of what you call it, is it any good? You can slowmo it on youtube if it's too fast for you. I am not going full speed for that matter.

17. Gnarlie

For your attention.

18. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

For your attention: "Instead of downwards as a true back kick". Anyone claiming that heel to the side is a permissible back kick is simply wrong. My kick is probably a hybrid concidering that description.

19. Gnarlie

Because wikipedia is a more reliable source than actual Taekwondo teachers. Yes.

20. Gnarlie

Body rotation defines side kick and back kick. Foot position is variable, but there is a correlation between foot rotation and body rotation. Correlation dies not equal causation. If anything, body rotation determines foot position rather than vice versa. Get the gross motor skill right first.

21. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

I did get it right. You submit that it was a back kick. I disagree however. I either did a reverse side kick or nothing at all.