Is this an OK spinning side kick?

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by Pleonasm, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

Whatever you say master.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2. Gnarlie

A minute ago it was a hybrid, now it's a back side kick or nothing. You can't even agree with yourself.

3. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

You and others from a KKW perspective claim that it was a back kick. I disagree. It's either a hybrid or a spinning/reverse side kick. Wiki takes the information from the original sources. I don't agree that the level of turn and initial direction of the knee decides whether it's a side or back kick. Rather the final composite, which is clearly that of a side kick, decides which technique it is. Just as someone throwing a side kick with knee pointing down is still executing a side kick, it's just not an optimal one. In the case of back kick, it's actually prescribed that the knee should point down during execution, rather than horizontally, and it's probably not a huge deal to do so initially with a spinning/reverse side kick.

4. Gnarlie

Whatever you say, master.

If you don't want feedback, why post videos and ask for feedback?

Unless you're just in it for the attention...

5. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

I didn't ask for feedback on my terminology. So this is then a jumping back kick?

6. Mario Ray Mahardhika

Mario Ray Mahardhika Active Member

Like I said, if you after back side kick, it is. If you want (reverse) side kick, nope. You close your upper body, so it's a back kick.

7. Gnarlie

Of sorts.

It's not feedback on your terminology, it's about your fundamental understanding of the kick and its mechanics.

8. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

I am aware of the differences. Since my back is not fully facing the target, there is some side angle to it, and my foot is that of a side kick, I concider it closer to a side kick than a back kick. It's not a big deal to me whether there is a full turn, in labelling it a side or back kick.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  9. Gnarlie

Ok. Then why ask?

10. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Again, I did not intend on asking whether you agree that it is a side kick. Perhaps I should have just written is this an OK kick. While we are on the subject of terminology, why wouldn't it constitute a spinning back kick? Most people write that it's a back kick but not a spinning one.

11. Gnarlie

You asked about weaknesses. The underrotation is a weakness if turning side kick is what you are attempting to do.

It is not a spinning back kick for three reasons:

1) There's not really any such thing as a spinning back kick outside of the terminology of MMA / K1.

2) Back kick is a linear kick, whether a pre-step is used or not. Calling it 'spinning' is misleading and causes people to visualise and therefore execute the kick poorly.

3) if any variant of back kick can be considered to 'spin', it would include a pre-step or an air-stepped jump leading to a 360 degree rotation. The kick, however, remains linear.

12. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

I can absolutely rotate adequately. No problem there. I was more interested if my center of gravity is alright, balance, the initial turn, do those things look somewhat good. How about telegraphing? It seems to have an alright "flow" to it but I'm not sure.

13. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

it is a back kick, because of the position of your shoulders in relation to your leg/foot

it stand to reason that a spinning side kick is a side kick... with a spin. you body ends in the same position in each.

the initial vidoe was too short to really judge the kick because what happens after any spinning kick is also important

14. Gnarlie

Also notable: flailing arms.

15. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Well this TKDoin claims that there is such a kick.

16. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Not sure if he is going 100% but I think his turn is worse than mine, quite frankly. Slower, less snappy.. Agree or disagree?

17. Gnarlie

Disagree. Apart from anything else, he is performing a different kick than the one you were going for.

18. Gnarlie

See it also says "kickboxing"?

19. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

How so?

20. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

There was a TKDoin asserting that my knee action at the outset is correct for a back kick. According to him, practice has shown that this is the most effective power generation for back kicks. Is there any validity to that claim?