Is this an OK spinning side kick?

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by Pleonasm, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Yes but Kickboxing is not a style. It's equally generic as saying one does MMA. Some Kickboxing clubs are very TaeKwondo oriented in their kicks, while others are K1/Dutch Muay Thai. And some do neither.

2. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

He's demonstrating back kick, you were going for "spinning side kick".

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

3. Gnarlie

Irrelevant. The terminology comes for K1/Kickboxing/MMA, not from TKD, is my point.

4. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Oh ok you mean that. I ended up doing a correct back kick, though. That's why I asked how his was different from mine in the end result.

5. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

But my point was that there was a distinction technique wise. Here is his back kick video to contrast with the spinning one:

It's clear from those two that I did not end up doing a back kick, I did a spinning back kick.

6. Gnarlie

There is no distinction. A back kick is a back kick. It's about the kicking direction relative to the upper body. It doesn't matter if you step before it, fire it from standing, or jump. It's still a back kick.

7. Gnarlie

Think about it. Standing right leg back, fire a back kick off the back leg. Your upper body only turns 90 degrees before the kick makes contact. Hardly warrants calling it "spinning".

8. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

I did think about it. I very clearly did a turn, as opposed to kick from a static position. So that it my mind makes it at the very least a turning back kick.

9. Gnarlie

Hm.

Hm.

Hm.

10. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

I think reverse/turn/spinning can be used interchangeably in this instance.

11. Gnarlie

You missed the point. You have consistently disagreed with yourself throughout the thread about what kick this is and what is correct. Not only that, you've expressed that in terms of "anyone who thinks x is wrong". You then go on to think x. It's not going well for you.

Maybe just take the advice from people who clearly know more about the topic in hand.

12. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

No, I haven't. It's called a conditional statement.

Might I direct your attention to this:

13. Gnarlie

I'm talking purely about what you have said, nobody else.

You consistently move the goalposts and consistently argue that you are right, even though three posts earlier you contradicted the point you are trying to make. It gets boring.

14. Gnarlie

I teach English. It's not a conditional statement, believe me.

Nice attempt at backpedalling though.

15. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

English is not formal logic. I am not backpedalling at all. If it's a straight up back kick according to your federation, then so be it. I have pointed you to other sources which do not in fact concider "true back kicks" those in which the kicking leg is that of a side kick. You wished to discard those, for whatever reason.

16. Gnarlie

You haven't done that at all, and I haven't discarded anything. I am pointing out that you are arguing with yourself. You are seemingly incapable of putting forward a coherent viewpoint. Now you are just making things up.

17. Gnarlie

You're like Donald Trump. Someone points out a weakness? Just deny and lie.

Fault in your logic? Inconsistency in your argument? Just change your story and deny it ever happened.

Can't support your position with knowledge? Just make something up.

18. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Imagine standing in a side-on stance in sparring. You can either throw a "roundkick" (or whatever you may wish to call it) with the front leg or a front leg side kick . What determines whether it's a side kick or not?

19. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

LMAO comparing me to Donald Trump.

20. Mario Ray Mahardhika

Mario Ray Mahardhika Active Member

@Pleonasm, you need etiquette lesson a lot more than any technical lesson. First time you came here, like what, 2 years ago? You were extremely cocky that I don't want to reply to any of your thread because all you showed were as if you knew everything and you believed your understanding was the most correct. As time goes, I have no idea what, you do get better, but not up to a point where you can be considered morally adequate to your belt level. I suppose your club concentrates to much on technical aspects and forgets the tradition and actual goal of being a Taekwondoin: to be a better human. See five phrases on top of this forum, right below the title? Why is self control placed before indomitable spirit? None of us is going to conquer you, there's no need to fight back by changing the topic or something similar, acceptance to ignorance is not a crime nor is a show of weakness (it's a show of strength, actually), we try to teach you what you might have misunderstood as we are clearly much more experienced, but it's not gonna work if you still think that only your understanding is correct and everything else you get as input is wrong.