Is this an OK spinning side kick?

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by Pleonasm, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

I don't see the relevance of this, but there are multiple factors differentiating those kicks and when / how they can be applied, but let's start with the big 3: Chamber, Path and Striking surface.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2. Gnarlie

You are right - I've said this before too. Staggering, isn't it?

3. Matt

Matt Member

I do not understand you one bit. You ask for peoples opinions on your kick and the moment they share them you attack them and claim they are wrong. There are various variations of "back kick" some schools are very strict with toes must be down, some allow a 45 degree angle, and other allow for the foot to be sideways. You have yet to realize that not one school is correct and that if you think this way your mind is severely closed. You cannot learn this way and you are not able to improve. Based on my teaching and my understanding of taekwondo, you are showing a spinning side kick. I notice a few things right away, first your hands to not stay in guard like they should. I believe this is common among most taekwondo schools to keep your hands in guard as you kick. Second, it seems as if your kick does not travel in a straight line and it should. The only difference between spinning side kick and spinning back kick is the foot and knee positioning. There is also the argument that spinning side kick is weaker and does not use the strongest muscles in the leg.

Rugratzz likes this.
  4. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Interesting. I suppose then that you too are ignorant of body mechanics according to Gnarlie.

5. Gnarlie

Believe me, if I had a problem with Matt, which I don't, I would have said so. Stop trying to play people off against each other because you don't have an argument.

See Matt is humble enough to state that based on his understanding, that's what it is. He is capable of thinking in more than black and white and can deal with ambiguity. You, on the other hand, have some growing to do in that area.

Rugratzz likes this.
  6. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Rubbish. You have stated with the exact same conviction that it's not a spinning side kick, as I have that it is.

7. Gnarlie

Indeed, because it's a back kick.

8. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Last time I checked, Matt had a higher grade than you.

9. Gnarlie

I don't list my grade ;)

10. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Ok Gandalf. I'll just keep on growing with Matt then. I know he is higher ranked than you.

11. Gnarlie

You really don't. You made an assumption a long time ago, which was incorrect.

12. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

You have listed or mentioned your Dan grade in the past. It was lower than Matts. Logic dictates that you are at best tied at this point.

13. Gnarlie

What's your point?

Matt and I are not in competition with one another and we are both mature enough to deal with ambiguity and respect one another.

Stop trying to create drama.

14. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

My point is that you made a reference to his experience in asserting that I threw a spinning side kick. He holds a higher grade than you.

15. Gnarlie

Incorrect, but just for the sake of argument, so what?

16. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Sigh... Higher dan grade counts for experience, and that of higher level experience.

17. Gnarlie

Nope. Nice try though. Thanks for playing.

18. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Ah, so rank does not correlate with time spent in the art? Gotha.

19. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Now, the forum picture... is that a spinning side kick or a back kick:cool:

Let the controversy ensue....

20. Gnarlie

It might, but time in the art does not necessarily correlate with experience. I mean look at you. You have a red belt, 4 years training and zero comps.