Is this an OK spinning side kick?

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by Pleonasm, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

Jumping back kick

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Haha. There's a lot of black belts who never competed. Believe me, if there was any money, I would compete, and I might bloody win too. Who knows.

3. Gnarlie

My point.
    I don't believe you. If you weren't afraid to compete you would have done it by now. Why are you afraid?

4. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

how is that a point. we were debating techniques, not sport tkd

5. Gnarlie

Competition sparring is part of the art. Without exposure to that experience, you're missing a huge part of what the art is about, regardless of how your technique might be.

My point is that belt grade and experience have little correlation if the student fails to take on that experience in order to develop themselves.

You can have years of time in art and a reasonable grade and still only be a legend in your own lunchbox if you fail to push yourself. Sound familiar?

6. Matt

Matt Member

Why thank you Sir. Given the state of this argument, I do not believe that it comes down to who has more experience or less experience. It is simply a difference in diction surrounding a kick. We all recognize that it is a kick and we all know we can throw a very similar kick to the one presented. Clearly, we just have varying definitions of the kick. WHICH IS OKAY. Let me ask you Pleonasm, have you trained at multiple taekwondo schools or traveled across a country training? Language is a beautiful thing and it changes across where you live. Have you heard of a spinning hook kick? Some schools not even 3 hours from where I grew up all it a spinning reverse round kick. The name does not matter, we both understand what the kick is. In this argument who cares what you want to call your kick. I think the real argument here would be, is it a good kick by your own definition or is it not? How do you define a back kick or a side kick?

7. Matt

Matt Member

After some more thought, I think @Pleonasm needs to work more on Taekwondo. I do not mean the application of technique but the respect and self-disciple that all martial artist strive to have. You seem to lack in humility, which to me is extremely important. You need to understand that anything you are taught has the chance to be wrong and anything you think you are right about may be wrong. I am willing to bet 100% that not a single person on this site uses the same terminology for every single technique they know. When asking questions on here, use direct language. Ask a direct question. You originally asked if your kick was "ok." That is a very vague question, you later explained this further but the discussion had already derailed. By this point, you had already closed your mind to everything anyone else would want to say. You need to take some time for personal growth and development before you post on here again. Take some time to reflect on what it means to be a martial artist.

8. Gnarlie

Agree. I see his posts in many forums, both recent and old, and it's pretty clear he's not learning. Pleo, until you open your mind you are wasting your time and money.

Gave up on TKD, insulted instructor and school, insisted he knew better.

Gave up on boxing, insulted instructor and school, insisted he knew better.

I wonder what will be next.