ITF "Straight Kick".

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by Anthony Nash, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Anthony Nash

Anthony Nash New Member

Hi all,
    I wonder if there are very experienced ITF practitioners who can help me understand a very obscure but genuine ITF kick, as documented in the encyclopaedia (reading from the fifth edition 1999).

The Straight Kick (Jigeau Chagi) pg 279 - how is this executed?

The accompanying description gives the impression that the straight kick is very similar to the pick shape kick (a variant of the downward kick), both being a 'smashing' kick. I understand, from Juche, that the pick shape kick swings up the centre line of the body as a straight leg along before smashing down onto the target with a straight leg. Sadly, the illustration between straight kick and pick shape kick are almost identical.

Many thanks,
    Anthony

2. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

3. Anthony Nash

Anthony Nash New Member

That is an image capture from the photos of a straight kick on page 279 or the ITF encyclopedia (1999). I'm afraid, it reveals nothing. If you have been taught this technique, I would appreciate a description of its delivery, point of impact, etc. From the pictures alone it comes across as too much like a pick-shape kick.

4. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

I've been taught both, but I'm not an ITF guy.

Pick kick moves away from you and down using the heel or ball of the foot and a slightly bent leg. Straight kick travels straight down (or up behind) with a straight leg, using the heel.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

5. Anthony Nash

Anthony Nash New Member

Hi Gnarlie, thanks for your contribution.
    If you check out 0:43-0:45 you'll see a pick shape kick being executed (in ITF Juche), which is delivered as a straight leg right up (like a front rising kick) and brought back down again with a straight leg to make an impact on a target quite low relative to the kicker. Sadly, this sounds very much like your description of a straight kick.

6. Gnarlie

Hi Mr Nash

I've asked for clarification from an expert. Hopefully he'll comment here soon.

Respectfully
    Gnarlie

7. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

There isn't any pattern with the kick anyway... I have not been taught it, but I am only intermediate student in ITF.

8. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Looks indistinguishable from an axe kick but since the terminology differs there lies some distinction. Maybe it's a a hybrid between axe and stomp kick...

9. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Yeah, it's a stomp kick.

10. Anthony Nash

Anthony Nash New Member

Hi Gnarlie,
    I look forward to any information you're able to find :)

Thanks.

11. chrispillertkd

chrispillertkd New Member

Hello, Gnarlie asked if I'd weigh in on the question of what a Straight Kick is and how it's executed. It is, as was mentioned, a subset of "Smashing Kick." Smashing kicks are analogous to striking techniques. Gen. Choi classifies hand techniques as, broadly, punches, thrusts, strikes, pressing, and breaks. Strikes are designed to break or destroy the bone or muscle of an opponent's vital point with the least amount of twisting of the attacking tool. So whereas a punch twists into the target to cause an internal hemorrhage a strike just smashes through the bone to break it (an upper elbow strike attacking the point of the chin, for example). Smashing kicks attack in a similar manner to the elbow strike I mentioned.

To execute the kick you raise the kicking leg and simply bring it down onto the target area. There are two types of Straight Kicks, Front and Back, and the preparation for each is the same. But the point of focus, and therefore the trajectory of the technique, is different. The Front Straight Kick is best used as a finishing technique on an opponent who is already fallen. The point of focus for a Front Straight Kick is well below the solar plexus of the attacker (this is an important difference between a Straight Kick and both a Downward and Pick-Shape Kick). Bring the leg straight up and then straight down so the back heel smashes into the opponent (occiput, back of the neck, small of the back, face, solar plexus, etc. are all good targets, IMO). While the trajectory of the kick upwards is a straight line the back heel will hit the target at an angle (or "slant" as the encyclopedia says) since to hit the opponent you have to travel back past the horizontal plane.

Executing a Back Straight Kick is similar in that you raise the kicking leg straight up in front of you but the foot is then brought downwards and behind you so it actually ends past your base leg (the non-kicking leg). This is to hit an opponent standing behind you, probably grabbing you, in the shin. The body should lean slightly forward at the moment of impact (this helps mobilize your mass as well as start to pull away from someone who is grabbing you/pulling you from behind.

Please note in both instances when I say "bring the leg down" in both instances of Front and Back Straight Kicks I don't mean just let the leg drop down or fall under the influence of gravity. I mean you should be slamming it down as hard as possible.

Both legs (the kicking leg and the base leg) should be kept straight at the moment of impact. Neither leg should have its knee bent as you hit the target, in other words. The knee of the base leg can (and should) be flexed at the start of the kick, however.

While the Straight Kick and the Pick-Shape Kick and Downward Kick are all "smashing kicks" they are fairly different.

Someone had referenced a video of the pattern Juche but I didn't see link to a video so I wasn't able to see what the person doing the pattern actually looked like but the point of impact for a Pick-Shape Kick is definitely not low. A Pick-Shape Kick is executed by raising the kicking leg straight up with the kicking leg straight, like in a Straight Kick. The point of focus, however, is well above that of the Straight Kick and should never be below the attacker's own shoulder. The Pick-Shape Kick's primary targets are the skull (top of the head) and clavicle. Secondary targets are face and chest. These are all attacked using the back heel. You can also attack using the ball of the foot, targeting face as well as the temple and jaw.

In order to hit an opponent who isn't closing distance with a Pick-Shape Kick you should move the hip of the kicking leg forward as you begin the downward movement of the leg. This increases your reach and if you've feinted a couple of times keeping both hips flush it can be somewhat surprising to them once they realize you can reach them.

Also, the Pick-Shape Kick is the only kick (that I can think of) where you raise off of the heel of the base leg while you are raising the kicking leg. Since the point of focus is so high and the kick attacks on a downwards trajectory this helps you get a bit of added height. Do not raise the heel when executing a Straight Kick.

Downward Kicks also have a much higher point of focus (no lower than your solar plexus). The kicking leg travels upwards in a circular trajectory but is brought down in a straight line. Bend the knee of the kicking leg somewhat while kicking. Skull an clavicle are targets and back heel is the only attacking tool.

We don't have "axe kicks" as Downward Kicks and Pick-Shape Kicks (and maybe Straight Kicks) would all qualify, depending on who is calling what an axe kick.

Please note, a Straight Kick is also not a "stomp." A Stamping Kick is also a "smashing kick" but is used to attack an opponent's instep or someone who has already fallen down. The trajectory of the kicking leg is much different from that of a Straight Kick. You simply raise the leg while bending the knee and then "step" onto the target using either the back sole or side sole. People often think of the instep being attacked while being held from behind but you can also attack it while someone is closing in on you or grabbing you from the front. The base leg should be flexed at the moment of impact and the knee of the kicking leg will often be bent given the natural ending point of the technique whereas the Straight Kick has both legs straightened at the moment of impact.

Hope this helps a bit.

Pax,

Chris

12. Gnarlie

Thank you sir, I hope so too. Clarified things for me, certainly.

13. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss New Member

They seem to be similar in execution. Distinguishing Characteristics.
    1. There is a front and back straight kick. No similar "Back" Pick shape kick.
    2. Straight kick - Both legs straight while kicking. Pick shape - Leg bent 45 degrees at impact.
    3. Straight kick - Not stated but shown support foot is flat on floor . Pick Shape - Heel of stationary foot "normally off ground.
    4. Straight Kick "Back Heel" only tool. Pick shape can also be ball of foot.

IMO they are very similar and most do not bend the knee 45 degrees for a Pick Shape kick. Hope this helps.

14. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Andy Hug bent his support leg always.

15. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss New Member

Kicking leg.