ITF Taekwon-Do was once full contact (early 70s)

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by Pleonasm, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

I never knew they held full Contact championships in ITF before offical Championships had been implemented. National Championships in New Zeeland were full contact. And they might have continued on that traditions well into the 80s, I am not sure.

What surprised me even more is that General Choi even attended one of them, despite being publicly against the full contact system.

Were you guys aware that Taekwon-Do was originally a full contact martial art? No body protectors and helmets. Same as kickboxing.

2. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

yes

3. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

Yes.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

4. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

And.... why was it changed then....

5. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

I have no idea why it changed. I would hazard a guess that there were some issues raised about safety and accessibility. However that is only a guess from a fairly uninterested party

A few years ago there was an attempted revival for full contact ITF in Russia I believe. No idea if it led anywhere

6. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Don't you agree that light contact in ITF, and it's offshoots, largely erode the use of TKD techniques in sparring? I mean how much can you realistically throw, besides push kicks, without being penalised or disqualified? Good luck attempting reverse turning kicks, or jump kicks against a moving target, without "excessive force" in the equation. The same goes for axe kicks, and flying sidekicks, the list goes on...

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  7. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

(South) Korean national championships in the 60s were full contact as well.

1963 Won First Korean Tae Soo Do (Tae Kwon Do, Tang Soo Do and Kong Soo Do) Full Contact Heavy-Weight Championship in the 3rd/4th/5th/ Degree Black Belt Division in February. The Korean Tae Kwon Do Association was called the Korean Tae Soo Do Association from 1962 to 1965 because the heads of Tang Soo Do and Kong Soo Do [Korean Karate] did not want to use the “Tae Kwon Do” name. This was the first Mixed Martial arts Championship ever held in Korea."

http://www.usadojo.com/biographies/ck-choi.html

Thus General Choi ruined it all when the first ITF world championships in 1973 started, because of his public statements on light to no contact.

TKD sparring since then has been playing around. Push kicking.

8. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss New Member

IMO this is not correct per info from Han Cha Kyo. There may have been early full contact competitions but if originally goes back to the 29th Infantry division, one of his students asked if they did full contact in those days. His response was to the effect that that would be crazy to risk that type of injury since they might go into combat at any time and did not want to do so having been injured thru TKD practice.

9. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

But the National championships in South Korea, won by C.K. Choi in 1963, and Jong Soo Park in 1964 were clearly full contact for 3rd/4th/5th degree. It says so in the label...

As to the Youtube clip I am curious if the nationals in New Zeeland were actually ITF sanctioned...

10. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Another interesting thing to note is that the name TKD was adopted by Tang Soo Do organisations, however still rejecting the Chang Hon patterns and keeping their Shotokan patterns+ some added ones. Chang Hon TKD was never embraced by South Korea even in the late 50s and early 60s. I don't know the ratio but Tang Soo Do/Kong Soo Do schools were still dominant.

One get's the impression that General Choi at least one point had a grip hold, with his position as TKD association president and offical videos done, but that's only the perception.

I assume Choi fought not just for the name being used but his actual patterns. Because a name is just mere semantics...