Jong Soo Park putting modern TKD to shame

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by Pleonasm, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

To those discrediting old school mechanics.... No telegraphing., Real power

Power, speed, and agility from a heavyweight (!)

3. Mario Ray Mahardhika

Mario Ray Mahardhika Active Member

Sorry, but I fail to see how this can put modern TKD to shame. In fact, this only shows how TKD has developed and modern TKD has been a much better martial art than it was in the past.

4. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

Agree. Nothing special there compared to modern standards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

Zero arguments put forward.

6. Gnarlie

Zero needed.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

7. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

I would appreciate a more in-depth account of why you think Jong Soo Parks kicking technique (in particular side kicks) in that clip is outdated.

8. Gnarlie

Nobody said that.

9. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

You agreed with the sentiment expressed by Mario that the clip demonstrates how modern Taekwondo is better, and you also wrote that it was nothing special. Even though I strongly disagree, it would be interesting to learn why you guys think that.

I think the clip demonstrates quite clearly how some people are ahead of the curve no matter what generation.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  10. Gnarlie

How?

You start, given that you're in the minority in your belief.

11. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

I'm in a minority of three. Speaking of his sidekicks: superb utilization of forward momentum. Ideal posture and flexibility. Excellent weight transfer. Great speed and control.

12. Gnarlie

And none of those things exist in modern Taekwondo? Is that what you are saying?

13. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

Jong Soo Parks sidekicks in the 70s are timeless and better than just about anyone of his own generation and those that ensued. Add to that the fact he's a heavyweight. It is not the case that practitioners of several past lineages are by default utitlizing worse technique/method of delivery. That was the point of my clip.

14. Gnarlie

How?

15. Gnarlie

The point of your clip was the title you gave the thread. You have yet to elaborate as to why you believe the video content "puts modern TKD to shame".

16. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

They don't make TKD masters like they used to. To be able to master two aspects of a technique is high level. JSP is closer to four or five aspects, and his weight does not detract from his execution.

17. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

Now you tell me why that does not impress you. I'm intrigued.

18. Gnarlie

Meaningless subjectivity.

Meaningless subjectivity.

What aspects do you believe he is displaying mastery of that are absent in modern taekwondo to such a degree that it is "put to shame"?

Weight has nothing to do with technical execution, by the way.

19. Gnarlie

Because it's nothing special to a modern master. Those are just standard Taekwondo kicks, although the style of presentation is dated.

20. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

[

The kicks are the same but Parks delivery is of higher quality. I have already outlined what the aspects are.

21. Gnarlie

Quality is subjective. You have failed to explain why you believe they are better, and you don't seem able to qualify what they are better than. It's just subjective nonsense.