Jong Soo Park putting modern TKD to shame

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by Pleonasm, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Not it isn't. Power and speed are measurable quantities.

2. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

Quality is not, unless the criteria for quality are previously defined.

There is nothing in that video that is not covered in the scope of modern TKD. In fact, some of the post-kick dynamics are very questionable by modern standards. There is certainly nothing there that in your words "puts modern TKD to shame".

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

3. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

So clarify then what post-kick habits that you disapprove of and why you think Parks side kicking game in that clip is unremarkable.

4. Gnarlie

It's extraordinary claims that require evidence. I'm claiming that this is not extraordinary. Because it isn't. It's just run of the mill common or garden variety kicking.

The problem is, if you haven't been to the cutting edge of modern kicking skills, you're not in a position to see or understand what is practised there. Therefore making sweeping statements about 'better', 'higher quality, 'more powerful', 'faster' is senseless - you have no idea what is at the other end of the comparison you are trying to make.

Consider the time to ground post-kick and the risk of leg sweep or grab and takedown.

5. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Both of these modern clips are far worse sidekicks, from by your own account "boss of modern KKW forms" , faulting elementary basics that I shouldn't even have to point out.

Nedless to say, Park is nowhere near overrotation.

Attached Files:

6. Gnarlie

Both of those kicks are from a specific form which requires a very specific motion in addition to the kick. They are absolutely correct in the context of the form in question. Which you are not aware of, so you are comparing apples with oranges. Which is my point. You have no concept of what you are comparing with.

7. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

His kicking form is objectively terrible. Anyone not blinded by affiliation can see that. If that's intentional then so much the worse. It only weakens your position further in the past vs present debate.

8. Gnarlie

Rubbish. You don't know what objective means, clearly.

Both those kicks are modified due to what they are accompanied by and what they are immediately followed by. You would know this if you had a clue about modern Taekwondo, but you don't, so here we are again, dealing with your spurious and senseless claims about something you know nothing about, trying to convince old hands of your own competence. We've seen you move. We know how little you know.

9. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Oh, so his way of doing it is less prone to counters than Jong Soo Parks? Nobody throws perfect kicks, including Park. And yes, he shames that practioner and even guys like Hwang Jang Lee of his own generation. Now whether Parks a better fighter or not, be it in TKD sparring or "freestyle" than them does not interest me the slightest. They could theoretically beat him in 30 seconds and it wouldn't negate the fact that Parks technique and delivery taken in isolation is superior.

I don't think the training footage shown had any sparring or sd context either.

10. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

As to your point about weight, it does affect speed for most mortals.

11. Gnarlie

And we've gone off into the fantasy realm. Bye then.

The kicks from GM Kang are for a different purpose, in a different context, and to quite some degree a different kick. Theorise / fantasise all you want, it won't change the fact that you don't know what you're talking about. We are not impressed.

12. Gnarlie

But even if that is the case, the speed in the clip you posted is nothing special for the weight class.

13. Gnarlie

What I find interesting is that you need coaching on the most fundamental aspects of your own side kick and then you want to try and convince us that you are somehow an authority on side kick form. M'kay.

14. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

The speed+power+ form+stability was great. Not that I give much credence for his views on anything but even General Choi whom Park was a personal bodyguard for, and generally had nothing good to say about anyone but himself, adored Park and said years later when they had something like 30 years of falling out, that he was his "poster boy" for TKD (paraphrasing).

There was Park and then the rest. Call it hyberbole if you like .

15. Gnarlie

Mmm'kay

16. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
    I can throw a fairly nice, nonchalant side kick from a neutral position chewing gum.:D

17. Gnarlie

I can throw a fairly nice, nonchalant side kick from a neutral position chewing gum.:D

[/QUOTE]Pfft.

18. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

There's another thing that strikes me about that particular clip with Park. Why is he throwing circumvented roundhouse kicks, yet form-proper side and front kicks? It's a bit puzzling.

19. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

while it is impressive, i don't see how it put modern TKD to shame

there are certainly people that can replicate what he did in the video, but what he did was the style popular in the past. you can see many examples of this, albeit not as well done, it basically was a single kick or punch done in a fast snappy way and retracted. usually each movement stopped after that. These days the movement is often followed through by all practitioners or continued with combos for demo purposes.

That is a change in style rather than a change in skill.

20. Matt

Matt Member

Once again, you ask for opinions and then do not open your mind to the responses. I think it is easy to say that "traditional" taekwondo and "modern" taekwondo are very different. They still utilize many of the same aspects such as technique and body control and foot position but modern martial artist have found new ways to improve or at the very least change the old techniques.