Jumping Tips!

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by TKDVIc, Oct 14, 2014.

1. TKDVIc

TKDVIc New Member

Hi there. New to this forum, so please bear with me! I've been practising ITF TKD for 4yrs and have just made blue belt. I didn't begin training until I was 40, so never to late to start! Fairly pleased with my progress so far, however now moving on to the jumping kicks and need some training tips for jumping higher as an adult?
    Don't think I've jumped in to the air with both knees up since I was probably about 6! and I'm finding it quite difficult! Would a small trampoline help, do you think? or is it just practice, practice, practice?!
    Any suggestions, greatly received. Thank you

2. Mario Ray Mahardhika

Mario Ray Mahardhika Active Member

Train your abdomen. Jumping depends on that muscle much, at least in my way. The stronger your abdomen, the higher you can lift your leg. Not necessarily increase your jump height but you can practically do more techniques with both legs in the air. If you want to improve your jump height, then decrease your weight while at the same time train your calf and thigh muscles. Skipping rope could help, jumping from one staircase to another using both feet is another one.

3. John Hulslander

John Hulslander Active Member

Adding plyometric exercises will help you jump higher.

If you look in the fitness threads, I have a pretty intense routine that is borrowed from the P90X plyo workout.

4. david.kernan3

david.kernan3 New Member

Try light jumping on the spot on the balls of your feet then gradually increase the height and bringing your knees up as if you are doing a tuck jump

5. TKDVIc

TKDVIc New Member

Thank you Mario, John and DAvid for all your valuable tips and advice! I will be purchasing a skipping rope and definitely trying your suggestions!

6. david.kernan3

david.kernan3 New Member

Your most welcome