Knee cocked down syndrome...

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by Pleonasm, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Is this knee level OK for the time being, or should I kick lower? I have already lowered it quite a bit. The syndrome is still present as you can see but overall form looks better.

2. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

Depends for what purpose.

I would recommend putting in two deliberate pause phases - you start in bending stance with the knee up and the foot against the standing leg. From there, there needs to be deliberate lifting and turning of the kicking thigh before the kick extends. When the kick comes back, it should return along the same path, with the foot still lifted and turned out. It should only be returned to the bending stance once you have recovered balance and decide to return it.

This will address the knee down issue,and over time you can eliminate the pauses.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

3. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Are you sure there is a connection between slow motion and normal pace, because I have no problem keeping it level in slowmotion. It's normal speed where it fails to keep up with the foot.

4. Gnarlie

Definitely. Take the time to train your body in how to do the kick.

5. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

It really pains me to see sloppy pattern performers in every "non kicking regard" kick effortlessly when it comes to knee/foot level. It really makes me question just how basic this is, and how much I'm lagging behind. They do everything else plain dreadfully - lean into punches, wild swinging blocks , too wide stances etc. And this is experienced black belts too.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  6. Gnarlie

The hard road is the more rewarding.

7. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Finally cracked it. It haunted me for lead leg side kicks.

I don't know if I'm ready to blast away though.

8. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  9. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

The reason I struggled with lead leg side kicks in particular was because I could rely on forward momentum to get the knee in place for rear leg sidekicks. But with lead leg you have no momentum to rely on, it just has to be there from the get go.

10. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

not a syndrome for most.. it is a choice