Kukki TaeKwonDos Olympic status

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by Pleonasm, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

Why did it influence their training curriculum? 99% of all practitioners will not compete in the Olympics, so why gear training towards something that encompasses less than 1% of the TKD training?

I know for fact that this entrence influenced the training because I did Kukkiwon TKD in a small, insignificant club and it was just as Olympic oriented as the bigger places. The kicking distribution was the biggiest tell off (and disinterest in patterns) .

Now, I'm told todays KKW has reverted back to a more 50/50 Sparring/Patterns training, and the main reason being that patterns have these days an equal status to the sparring. But anyway, my question is about the past.

3. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

It's a sport in the Olympics. You think only people who are going to compete in the Olympics should run, too?

Fallacy. Different clubs have different focus areas. Poomsae areaa grading requirement in them all bar a very select few.

You were misinformed.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

4. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

It's a sport in the Olympics encompassing less than one procent of the Taekwondo population. The clubs train as if it encompasses the majority. Or are you seriously suggesting Kukki Taekwondo pre Olympic status had the same overall training curriculum as they do today? Both Kukki Taekwondo and Judo training changed dramatically with their respective Olympic entrences.

5. Gnarlie

Actually the Kukki syllabus has remained largely the same since 1972.

It's down to the individual clubs to determine what they focus on.

Some of them focus on the sport, in the same way that fencing focuses mainly on Olympic sport. That doesn't mean that fencing skills are only what you see in the Olympics. An understanding of modern sport Taekwondo is also part of the Kukki grading structure, but it is a small part.

I don't think you have an accurate view of how small.

6. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

So the default sparring format in the 70s also banned face punches? Sorry to hear that.

7. Gnarlie

Shihap Kyorugi, or match sparring, never had face punches. It had some other elements like leg sweeps, which made going to punching range very dangerous.

Other types of sparring had and still have face punches.

8. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

So you were allowed to grab each others shoulders and sweep the legs? Like the WKF Karate guys?

9. Gnarlie

No, sweeps from range

10. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

Why would sweeps make punching range "very dangerous" in kukki TKD rules but not Muay Thai?

11. Gnarlie

Hard floor

12. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

That's assuming the sweeping attempt is successful. I don't think sweeps are easy to pull off between equally matched guys.

13. Gnarlie

The possibility of being swept on a hard floor certainly discourages the use of kicks to enter or exit punching range - regardless of sweep success or failure.

14. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

Depends on how probable it is. If experience demonstrates that it's a rare occurance, then I would certainly enter punching range. There's risk to any proactive measure.

15. Gnarlie

It was common enough and caused enough injuries that mats and headgear were introduced and the techniques banned.

16. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

I think it had more to do with a desire to organize a fully fleshed Taekkyon descendent art, and avoid turning it into generic Kickboxing.

17. Gnarlie

Think what you like, it won't make it true.

18. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

Your claim makes no sense since A) you claimed it was always in the kukki rules B) they changed to mat and helmet, yet still no face punching.

19. Gnarlie

It's not a claim, it's the truth. The truth often doesn't make sense. It is what it is.