Kyokushin Karate Knockouts

Discussion in 'The Video Room' started by Kevin, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Kevin

Kevin Administrator Staff Member

I haven't watched much of Kyokushin Karate. I've watched Karate tournaments down at my local sports centre and I was frustrated with the points system they use - though that's probably because I come from an ITF background.

I must admit though, I was really impressed with some of the knockouts in this tournament. No punches to the head seem to be allowed which means that some of the fights turn into 'rock em sock em' robots at times, though some of the knockout kicks are spectacular to say the least (particularly the axe kicks).

2. Zerodamage

Zerodamage New Member

I agree, the no punches to the head made many of it seem less impressive. TBH I was never a fan of Karate specifically to begin with because I didn't like it's "step by step" mentality of combat. Too slow for a real-world fight. All I really care about is what can be used in an actual street fight where chaotic variables are in place.

3. Kevin

I think it's naive to disregard the benefits of Karate or any other traditional martial art like Taekwondo. If you are only interested in learning how to street fight, you'd probably be better focusing on something like krav maga.

I don't know how you can say those kicks are too slow for a real fight. Some of those kicks would have knocked out top MMA pros.

4. Zerodamage

Zerodamage New Member

I wouldn't go as far as saying that I'd disregard them. My point was that it would take a while and need to be truly mastered before being efficient and disciplined enough to effectively apply it in a real-world combat scenario where many chaotic variables can come into play.

It's the same reason why you wouldn't turn to Shaolin Kung Fu as your first martial art if you wanted to get ready for a street fight that was only a few weeks from today.

5. Kevin

Why would you be planning a street fight a few weeks from today?

In my opinion, it's better to avoid fighting where possible, rather than go out seeking it. It comes across like you just want to take a three week course on how to attack someone.

Martial arts isn't something you learn in a few weeks - it takes years to become a competent fighter.

I do agree that many variables come into play in real life and with many martials arts there is the 'art' side to it (e.g. doing patterns with your hands low etc). I still can't understand you saying that the Karate guys would be too slow for a real fight - those guys could clearly handle themselves.

6. Zerodamage

Zerodamage New Member

I never said the practitioners themselves would be too slow for real-world combat but the point I was trying to point out was that there are more straightforward versions that arrive at the same target of impact than the ones Karate in general teaches. Let's be honest, Karate doesn't exactly stress the concept of blocking and attacking with the same limb and same motion. I'm sure they can handle their own.

As for the part about avoiding fighting, that would be presumptuous to imply that one who seeks to fight must have a shallow reason for fighting. There's dozens of reasons for why someone would want to fight. One of them would be a philosophical reason. Diving further into this sort of mentality in the argument though would be entering the abstract so I'd rather not get into it.

7. Kevin

Your views on Karate are peculiar to say the least. I'm a TKD guy and have never trained Karate though I at least respect those who do the art. To suggest they don't stress the concept of blocking and attacking well is bizarre. You only have to look at guys like Lyota Machida and GSP in the UFC to see how effective it can be if applied. Stephen "Wonderboy" Thomson also comes from a Karate background.

I would be happy to go on record that anyone who goes out on the street looking for fights is an idiot, a bully and needs to be locked up. If you want to fight, train and fight in the ring, don't go looking for innocent targets in the street. Nothing philosophical about trying to beat someone up.

8. Zerodamage

Zerodamage New Member

Actually, even if we were to go as far as saying that someone was solely looking for a fight outside, one can't ignore the possible philosophical reasoning behind such. To do so would be naive and simply reacting on emotion and not purely logic. Philosophies can change based on perspective. After all, everything in human society is dictated by perspective. To say otherwise would be blatant indication of that person not fully comprehending the definition of the word "philosophy".

But that's not even the reason why one would go "out on the streets looking for fights". I doubt anyone even does that who's serious about themselves. Now, participating in underground martial arts rings for principles such as purely testing themselves is another story. If one bases all their actions and decision making in life based on the principles and philosophical definitions of certain virtues that they believe in, then I don't think any other human being has the right to judge that.

It's important to open one's mind up to see things from dozens of angles rather than a few narrow views. That would simply be no different than stereotyping. Again I'll stress, I doubt anyone who's a great combatant would actually go and pick fights with non-trained fighters, or to even pick fights for no reason at all.

9. Chris J

Chris J Active Member

I trained with Kyokushin Karate for around 12 months they train hard, and go hard. Top fighters.....was lucky enough to meet Bruce Haynes in Sydney.

10. Jason Langen

Jason Langen New Member

#181 has one heck of a spin back kick.