Lesson Planning

Discussion in 'The Instructors Room' started by Gnarlie, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

Should you ever use the same lesson plan for the same group twice?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2. Rugratzz

Rugratzz Active Member

In our club we have a weekly theme, one week it could be self defence, so that would be the plan for two days. Personally I carry on from the previous lesson, so I may incorporate some of the material, or build on it. If its the little ones then I will more often than not have to go through the previous lesson plan, as they often forget.

I am not sure if that ansered your question?

3. Gnarlie

Same. But, in your experience, do you and / or other instructors ever repeat the exact same lesson plan? Or is it better to present the same information in new ways? Do students feel more comfortable when it's something they have done before and they know what's coming? Or is it better to mix it up to stave off staleness and disguise repetition?

I'm interested in the effects of exact repetition of lesson plans on the student's comfort and confidence level and their perception of their own successes, along with their ability to assimilate information regarding underlying principles of our martial art.

Rugratzz likes this.
  4. Rugratzz

Rugratzz Active Member

AAAHhh Gotcha! I personally wouldn't use the same lesson plan. As the old saying goes variety is the spice of life. I believe students need a challenge, every time they train. As an instructor, its my job to teach in the most effective way for every student, sometimes I /we need to be creative.

The only class I seem to repeat is when we do Taegueks, although doing them with eye closed, facing different directions, piggy back Taegueks, the one on the back does the hand techniques the other does the stances and kicks. I really try to make the students think rather than be clones.

I think if I was to use the same lesson plan (although I dont actually have a piece of paper) they and I would get bored. The little ones from 5 years are a little different and like things that they are familiar with, adding little by little.

5. Gnarlie

I think kids need variety too. Presenting the same old same old in different ways is important to disguise the mundane repetition at the core or martial arts, which is not something children are good at.

For adults, I think repetition of lesson structure has some benefits in terms of student self perception and perceived successes - I am interested to hear your perspectives.

Rugratzz likes this.
  6. Rugratzz

Rugratzz Active Member

I really like this thread! Its making me sit back and actually think about the way I teach, and how I do it.

Adults are better at using the information you give them and applying it, or at least trying too. our adult class, covers all grades from total beginners through to 5th and 6th dan. So sometimes applying the same format can be challenging, I always, at least once or twice in the lesson, mix the grades, not allowing a high grade to train with another of a similar grade. it works for two reasons, firstly, the high grade has to reach back and remember what it was like trying to learn how to do say, yeop chagi, thus giving them a better understanding of the technique. Secondly, the student gets a little one on one help, they also gain confidence, in being able to ask questions ( for some people they find it hard to ask questions, especially in a subject they are not familiar with, because they dont want to appear stupid, strong word but you get my drift. )

Sorry going on a bit here :confused:

We quite often sit in on other instructors lessons, I use it give me an idea of what they are covering and to give me a hint on what to do with my next lesson when we cover the same theme, I use that to give the students some revision, at the beginning. then follow on from that. lesson structure is important, but not too ridged, as some topics can take more or less time (I dont know if you are the only instructor or not, but I have found that less experienced instructors, write a long list of things they want to cover, but rarely do they get through it).

Students need to feel that they are improving, even if its only "baby steps" but others are taking "giant steps" continuously suggesting to them that TKD is not a race, not to compare themselves to others all the time. We all do it to a lesser or greater extent, and for some its a hard habit to stop.

Confidence or lack of (If I have the "perceived success" right) Going to need a few cups of tea to think about that one.

Using the lesson structure I think helps to balance those two extremes, (a little like putting the brakes on the more confident , and encouraging the others to go a little faster). Personally I find the over confident ones harder to teach, as they find it hard to see that they are actually doing something wrong (a certain member here) whist the others, dont think they are doing well, but in fact they are progressing better, and are more open to direction. I hope that makes sense..

Gnarlie likes this.
  7. Gnarlie

Me too.

Do you think mixed works better than split? We have split for adults, but sometimes I wonder if mixed might be better.
    I'm not the only one. I find that one principle is more than enough for a 90 minute session with a few variations on the theme. I like to build the warm up out of exercises specific to the principle, or prerequisite partial motions. If I can get through a session with a minimum of chatter and with the participants active 95% of the time, I'm happy.
    This is what I mean with perception of success. It's important for students to set personal goals and measure improvement against those, rather than by comparison. This is something I spend a lot of time talking to people about between training sessions.
    I mean that they need to perceive progress against their personal goals.
    Agree!

Rugratzz likes this.
  8. Rugratzz

Rugratzz Active Member

Just a note, loads of views, but not may contributions. I am sure there is a wealth on knowledge on this site.

I love mixed classes, then depending on the theme, I will split them up into grades (if numbers available to do this) sometimes in parts of the class. I do encourage all grades to seek a partner that is at least two or three grades apart. it works well for not only the adults but also the children. Girls dont just train with girls. I think its down to the club and what you are comfortable with.

Totally agree if you can get through your lesson with most of the content covered, then its been a success. Or if its the young ones and you survive without too many tears. My children are great critics, and say it as it is, I often ask them how they thought the lesson went, thankfully most of the time its, good reviews.

Personal goals, Can certainly be an issue. Talking to the student (like you do) is so important, and being realistic, and honest (in my opinion) is also important. If there goals are unrealistic, then maybe extending their personal timeframe, they can get things into a better perspective.

For me what is worse are parents that set goals for their children, and poor little Sam is never going to achieve them in that time frame, and they then go on to tell their child that he/she will be a BB in four years. We hold gradings ever three months, but it doesn't mean you will be graded every time. My youngest has missed about five gradings, the last three in succession, a combination of injuries and just not being ready, If he had done them all he would be taking his poom grade this summer.

All this being said, its down to the students, and we need to change all the time in the way we teach. years ago my Karate instructor played music, whist we trained, especially for fighting and warming up. I introduced it into our club. for the same things. the intensity increased the students performed better. Now they really like it, and even some of the other instructors are using it.

As a club we are trying to get back to basics, we sort of lost it a bit and sometimes lessons became "let see how it goes". After a few instructors meetings, now have a clear path to follow, from top to bottom. I have to say this was more of a problem with some of younger instructors. As us oldies like structure, " we will have order"!

9. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

I think consistency and duration of the drill is best by test. I can't tell you how much I appreciated drilling a combination or even a single technique for up to 20 minutes with a partner in Boxing, compared to in TKD 5, at most 10 mins, always rushing to the next, never to the point that what we were doing was automized. Also to consistently follow this pattern of training day in and out.

10. Gnarlie

My question is about from one lesson to the next, rather than within a single session, just to clarify.

11. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

That was my point arguing for the sameness of it, day in day out, with some slight variation in drills. I think students might get bored by the exact same drill every day, but as long as they are interrelated. Then the next week switch theme, then back to the old theme. I much prefer that to cramming in 3-4 vastly different drills in 1 hour. I didn't hate the other way but I felt I got more out of the training with sameness.