Lineage?

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by Raymond, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Raymond

Raymond Active Member

I was thinking about this today while reading and replying on some other forums. In most of the traditional arts, lineage is a big deal. Not only does an instructors lineage help you know if they are "legit" in a sense, but it also connects us to history much like a family tree. In terms of being legit, if someone can't at least give you a bit of their lineage, then they might just be making up their rank. But in terms of history, lineage connects us to the past.

I've been able to trace my TKD and HKD lineage back to my sabounim's instructor, but that's about where it ends for me (at least for those arts - my submission grappling goes a little farther but my kickboxing/boxing ends with the people who taught me).

*EDIT* I "think" I have been able to trace my lineage in the Korean arts a little farther back but I'm not 100% sure. I could be missing a step possibly.

How far back have you been able to trace yours? Just curious how interested folks are in their history and connection to the art.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  2. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

I can trace my original roots back to the first civilian black belt in the UK. At the moment I am with an instructor with such strong links to Korea and Kukkiwon that to speak of lineage seems moot - his lineage is the lineage of Kukkiwon.

The differences between the two are minimal, even though the first guy had non-KKW roots. Perhaps more sport science and physical education and less 'contact' SD drilling in the modern form. Same art though.

Taekwondo is what it is, and I believe claiming a different art or style due to a different pattern set or minor differences in technique performance is separatism. On a macro scale, all share the same lineage: Korea.

3. Pat Thomson

Pat Thomson Member

I can easily track mine back to the formation of the (modern art and its name) art of Taekwondo. As Australia has had the honour of having Master Rhee Chong Chul and his brothers (Him and his brother are both member of the original masters), and my instructor was trained directly from Master Rhee Chong Chul.

4. John Hulslander

John Hulslander Active Member

I am fortunate in that I have a good relationship with our GM (front and center in my avatar)
    He is from Korea (actually born in Mongolia, and his family moved from N Korea to S Korea)
    He learned Tang Soo Do before Taekwondo was formed officially.

We still practice many of his Tang Soo Do patterns as a result.

He has always been vague about his GM, but he started when he was 8 (so about 65 years ago)

I consider this relationship a true blessing and I hope I never take it for granted.

Pat Thomson likes this.
  5. ssiidd

ssiidd Active Member

I am actually not sure how 'lineage' works from a TKD perspective. Our GM was a student of General Choi, trained under him for a number of years (2nd Dan 'I think'). I have never asked him the lineage question, I might some day when I can muster enough courage. He has always been like a father to me and I feel very fortunate I met him and get to train under his instruction.

6. Anthony Hayward

Anthony Hayward Active Member

My Master originally started his training with Cheah TKD in Australia in the 1970's. He converted to the original ITF and was a student directly under General Choi from 1991 till the general's passing. Is now 8th degree senior master. So I guess you could say that our Lineage is direct to the founder of TKD General Choi Hong Hi.

7. Raymond

Raymond Active Member

As far as I can trace my Korean martial art lineage it goes:
    Me
    My instructor (6th dan)
    My instructor's Grandmaster (8th dan)
    Hwang Kee

8. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

Lineage isn't something ni her alot about when dealing with systems that have a large organisation, What organisation? is the main question people ask, i guess now with so many orgaisations breaking up the question might be becoming more important.

In the chinese systems however lineage become very important as there are lots of different teachers teaching things that are different, you could get2 taiji teacher performing the same form and they look completely different.

so you identify yourself with your organisation or with your teacher?

9. Raymond

Raymond Active Member

Me personally I don't identify with a particular organization. I do indeed identify with instructor.