Looking for a dojo

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by Jblote, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Jblote

Jblote New Member

Well I did Taekwondo when I was a kid and am trying to get back into it. I like in the south jersey/ philidelphia Area. I found one dojo that I wanted to join but after going to watch a class I may be second guessing it. There were people in the class who were black belts but in my opinion did not look like they could fight. They were sparing and looked like they could get knocked out in a real fight. When I asked about it about that the instructor said that they were a lot older and I guess it depends on the person. I’m having second guesses about this place. I wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions for a good dojo in my area. Also if I should join that dojo

3. canadiankyosa

canadiankyosa Active Member

Maybe the goals of those black belts had more to do with the art over the physical. I find it annoying that people judge a tojang on their "fighting" ability only. Also, define "real fight". If fighting is desired, Muay Thai or Kyokushin may be the better choice.

Rant over.

4. Jblote

Jblote New Member

I get what you are saying but what’s the point in learning it if u cannot use it for self defense. I chose tkd because I like it’s art form and I did it a little when I was younger. I want to learn the art of it but also want to know how to the defend myself if need be. So when I go to a dojo and see black belts who do not look like they know how to throw a punch I should be a little skeptical. So when I ask a question I do not mean to sound like a douche , I really want to know if I should even consider this place or find another dojo.

5. Shawchert

Shawchert New Member

this is what I found on google, You can contain your search to your specific area since I don't know exactly where you live but all I can say is find one that suits your needs and if you can't pick the next best thing.

Well it seems I can't post links but if you search google: Taekwondo dojang near (your area) and it will give you the dojangs around you

6. Jblote

Jblote New Member

Thank you very much

7. Shawchert

Shawchert New Member

Not a problem, I hope it helped :)

8. Evildwarf

Evildwarf Member

My $0.02 would be that everyone desires and values different things that can be gained through martial arts.
    If you are wanting a very aggressive street oriented art I would not suggest TKD, maybe Krav or as suggested previously Muay Thai. TKD is a beautiful art form, a fun and active physical challenge, a highly competitive contact sport, but not a street fight.
    Scout out a school before committing...martial arts instruction isn't cheap. Make sure you understand the cultural expectations within the school, socially and competitively.