losing muscle mass

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by michael mckenna, Jun 14, 2014.

1. michael mckenna

michael mckenna Active Member

i want to lose alot of my muscle mass which even though i dont lift heavy weights or anything i just use body weight exercises i keep putting on mass and and i dont know how to stop it, im 21 im 5.8 and my weight is 235lbs last year i was 195lb when i went to cyprus and i just look far too stocky, at that point my body fat percentage was 8% now its at 13 % which is making me look fat even though its just mass that add on alll the time, my dad has increasing concerns that when i am about 30 my body would look overweight but still being muscle mass. ive tried eating less calories and doing more cardio but i feel i wont be able to get rid of the mass, can anyone help me ? do you think i should see a doctor on whats going on or a diet expert ?

2. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you're keen to lose mass, try experimenting with a different diet e.g. veggie or vegan, paleo (there are plently to choose from, do your research and find what works for you).

Carefully monitor your protein intake prior to and in the window shortly after training. Try to fuel your training sessions with a dose of carbs and a smaller amount of protein.

When I originally went veggie I lost a lot of mass, because I knew nothing about where to get veggie based proteins. Then I piled on pounds because I started substituting everything with cheese. Now I don't eat cheese, and get protein through plant sources like lentils, beans, brown rice, tofu, tempeh and a myriad of others. Eating veggie / vegan has naturally moderated my calorie and protein intake, and helped me reach a balanced mass while maintaining the energy levels I need to train hard.

Be scientific. Change one thing at a time and monitor the results.

3. michael mckenna

well the protein could be the problem, i eat 2 chicken breasts a day with noodles or rice, and a sandwich or sometimes a salad, and drink 2 whey protein shakes a day, my god that could be the problem how could i be so stupid and not realise that. 2 years ago i got a check up and was told i need to eat more protein and carbs so my doctor gave me a diet plan to get more protein into me, he said to do with for 6 months and ive been doing it ever since, i had to use that much protein due to nearly breaking my back. back is still abit sore every now and then especially in winter

4. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

If the 6 months are up I would drop the shakes, there's enough protein in the chicken.

Consult your doctor before starting a new diet, especially as you were placed on a plan by a doctor.

5. michael mckenna

yeh ive made an appointment for my yearly diabetes check, my dad gets me to go with my brother and sister cos you never know what they put in supermarket food, my dad is really healthy and has developed diabetes but we dont know how. so we got yearly check ups

6. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

yeah man, without knowing too much about you, cut down onthe protein, cut way down. you are eating like an ametuer body builder

7. michael mckenna

yeh i just went for my check up and that is pretty much what the doctor said, i have to start eating more sea food for a while and cut down on the chicken breast