Lyoto Machida vs. Gegard Mousasi

Discussion in 'The Dojang' started by Raymond, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Raymond

Raymond Active Member

I know it's not most people's thing around here, but did anyone watch Lyoto Machida vs. Gegard Mousasi on the past Saturday? Was an excellent display of practical full contact application of Shotokan Karate, and a great kickfighting match in general (with a little ground mixed in).

2. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

Alas no, but I hope to at some point. I remember the very first UFC I watched was when Machida jumping front snap kicked some guy (Brock Lesnar maybe?) in the face. Everyone went crazy for the 'crane kick' (no can defend, right? ;)) and I think that was around the time karate stylist appeared on SD. Now he was good fun :p

3. Raymond

Raymond Active Member

Machida beat Randy Couture with a jumping front snap kick (Mae Tobi Geri is what they call it in the Karate systems I think). Knocked some of his teeth out and was his last fight prior to retirement.

[​IMG]

4. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

Yup that was it. Brutal. I dont enjoy watching KO's like that, but it sure as hell made an impact.

I really enjoy Machida, some people call him boring, but hes very fun to watch for me. Mostly, I like the fact he is a case in point that you can be good at a traditional martial art without doing the patterns :p

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  5. Raymond

Raymond Active Member

Not sure what you mean but there's plenty of video of Machida doing kata. There's video of GSP doing kata as well.

6. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

There are, but neither of them focus much on it. GSP is clearly very rusty with his kata. Machida is better, but if I remember rightly he and his dad disagree on the matter because his dad is very traditional and places alot of faith in kata whereas machida said he thinks its a good breathing exercise.

7. Raymond

Raymond Active Member

Ok I see. I was confused at first :p