Maintenance of a standing Wave bag

Discussion in 'The Instructors Room' started by Jenny 8, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Jenny 8

Jenny 8 New Member

We have one bag filled about a quarter with sand. The other we had water, but it kept leaking. One of our adult students offered to put sand in it. He brought it back full of sand at the base. It is really heavy. Is this a good thing? The neck of the bag, he filled with foam. Does this pose a problem having it so heavy? Thank you!

3. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

Heavy is good if you don't have to move it often. It also encourages striking with the correct part of the foot or hand, because it hurts when you get it wrong.

You also need to be careful where you put your bare toes when working the bag, and keep an eye on kids around it.

Jenny 8 likes this.
  4. Jenny 8

Jenny 8 New Member

Thanks Gnarlie.

I was worried the neck might snap.

5. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

I had one in the UK with the base full of sand. I could just about kick it over with a really well connected jumping back kick with all of my weight behind it. They fall over, even when full - takes a heavy kick to do it though. If you find it is not moving at all when kicked, I would take some weight out. Optimum is a little motion but not so the bag walks around during kicking drills.

Jenny 8 likes this.