Martial Arts Quotes

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by Kevin, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Kevin

Kevin Administrator Staff Member

I thought it would be cool to start a thread in which we can share our favourite Martial Arts Quotes.

I'll start us off with some of my favourite :)

2. sqgear

sqgear Member

Bruce lee is one of my idols . His quotes keep me inspired and also full of confidence . he is a true leader who will always be remembered for his ultra talented skills and love for life !

A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at. - Bruce Lee

Kevin likes this.
  3. Kevin

Kevin Administrator Staff Member

I was a Bruce Lee fanatic growing up too (still am). Some of his quotes are fantastic.

4. Antonio

Antonio New Member

Some of my favourites:

1."Live each momment of training as if it were a battle, don't lose sight that your goal is to protect yourself in real life and always be aware".

2. "I must find a truth which is true for me; a truth for which I can live and die." -- Soren Kierkegaard

Kevin likes this.
  5. sqgear

sqgear Member

“Life is never stagnation. It is constant movement, un-rhythmic movement, as we as constant change. Things live by moving and gain strength as they go. " - Bruce Lee

6. sqgear

sqgear Member

Anyone who stops learning is old , whatever may be his age . anyone who keeps learning is young . the greatest thing in life is to keep your mind fresh and young - Henry Ford .

7. sqgear

sqgear Member

your work is to discover your work , and once you have found it with your heart submit yourself to it - Buddha .

8. sqgear

sqgear Member

when there is only choice between cowardice and violence , i would advise violence - Mohandas Gandhi

9. dojo

dojo Member

The longest of the journeys starts with a single step
    Wherever you go, go with all your heart.

These two have been a motto for me all these years, not just regarding martial arts. It shaped me as a person and helped a lot with everything I have tried to do, whether it was school or work related

10. Leighton

Leighton Member

these aren't martial arts quotes but I like them all the same:

you work to live, not live to work - my dad (who probably heard it somewhere else)
    You've not lived until you've found something worth dying for - can't remember where I heard it but I like it

11. Jo

Jo New Member

One of the greatest gifts of the martial arts is that they ultimately guide us to new levels of spirituality.
    JOSEPH CARDILLO, Be Like Water

12. Jo

Jo New Member

Champions are made from something.
    They have deep inside them, a desire, a dream, a vision,
    They have to have last minute stamina; have to be a little bit faster,
    They have to have the skill and the will.
    But the will must be stronger than the skill. ~ Mohammed Ali

13. Jo

Jo New Member

For you @ Sqgear I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.~ Bruce Lee

sqgear likes this.
  14. sqgear

sqgear Member

thank you jo.....but not only this , i like ALL of his quotes ...

for ex : mistakes are always forgivable but one should have the courage to admit them!

15. Kenji

Kenji New Member

Ok, guys keep talking about Bruce Lee quotes (because Im a fan too) :) I have my favorite from him:
    "Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend." -Bruce Lee

16. Jon Sloan

Jon Sloan Member

"Argue for your limitations, sure enough, they're yours!"---Richard Bach

Something my first instructor would repeat over and over again when one of us beginners would complain about not being able to do a technique correctly.

"Do, or Do Not...There is no 'Try'!" --Yoda I would use this one a lot with students, especially when I first started teaching.

17. keisha

keisha New Member

Tae kwon do is a never ending quest for perfection. An art of developing the mind and the body to defeat your constant opponent…yourself. - anonymous

18. Joe

Joe Member

All fixed set patterns are incapable of adaptability or pliability. The truth is outside of all fixed patterns.
    - Bruce Lee

Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.
    -Bruce Lee

The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be.
    -Bruce Lee

To me, the extraordinary aspect of martial arts lies in its simplicity. The easy way is also the right way, and martial arts is nothing at all special; the closer to the true way of martial arts, the less wastage of expression there is.
    -Bruce Lee

As you can tell Bruce Lee is by far my favorite martial artist.

This kid is going to be the best kid in the world.
    This kid is going to be better than somebody ever knew.
    But somewhere along the line, you changed.
    Stop being you.
    You let people stick a finger in your face and tell you
    "you're no good", and when things got hard you started looking for people to blame.
    Like a big shadow, let me tell you something you already know.

The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place.
    And I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, nobody is going to hit as hard as life.

It ain't about as hard as you hit. It is about how hard you can GET hit and get and keep moving forward, how much you can take and kee moving forward that is how winning is done! Because if you can keep going through the battles to get to where you wanna get, who has got the right to stop you? I mean maybe some of you guys have got something to finish, something you really wanna do. Something you never said to someone. Something, and you are told no! And you have paid our dues, who has got he right to stop you? Nobody, it is your right to listen to your gut, and it ain't nobodies right to say "no" to you when you wanna be where you wanna be or do what you wanna do!

Now if you know what your worth, then you get what your worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hit. And not point fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of him or her or anybody! Cowards do that and they ain't you! You're better than that!

-The movie "Rocky"

I know that is huge, but I absolutely love that one

Chie likes this.
  19. Chie

Chie New Member

Do not let circumstances control you. You change your circumstances.
    Don't try to be like Jackie. There is only one Jackie. Study computers instead.
    I hate violence, yes I do. It's kind of a dilemma, huh?.
    I don't want to be an action star, an action star's life is so short. I want my life to get longer, I want my career to get longer.

20. Laurinda

Laurinda New Member

I really like this! I feel so stiff sometimes when practising patterns, trying to force it to be 'right'. Next time I will be more relaxed, I will let it flow like water... unless my instructor's watching - then I always mess up!

Anthony Hayward and lorraine like this.