Most difficult techniques for you?

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by Raymond, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Raymond

Raymond Active Member

We all have different body types and personalities, so some times certain techniques work great for you and some not so much. What's the technique that everyone has had the most difficulty in getting down?

For me definitely high spinning techniques (spinning hook kick for example). I am a short heavy weight with short, thick power lifter type legs so getting the height needed is hard for me.

My legs are built like this lol

[​IMG]

canadiankyosa likes this.
  2. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

Things that require alot of flexibility, or jumping. Not that I cant jump, but I dont like throwing myself into something with no stability. Its more of a mental block since I fell over doing a tornado kick :p

3. Master Fahy

Master Fahy Active Member

The one that hasn't been invented yet! LOL Master Fahy

4. Mario Ray Mahardhika

Mario Ray Mahardhika Active Member

So far 540 tornado and 720 spinning hook still bother me. Don't say perfect, even correct execution that doesn't hurt my feet is still unreached.

5. I struggle with relaxing. Before I do any technique I tend to tense up so I find I struggle with alot of it. I am slowley getting better with stretching everyday and making a mental note everytime I feel myself tensing to relax which will hopefully eventially become natural to just relax.

Tim

6. Melody

Melody Member

My tornado kick is just as bad today as it was the first time I tried it......at this point I consider every kick a work in progress but with tornado kick there has been zero progress. I think I just do not understand the mechanics of it yet. I feel shy to keep asking about it and then never understand the explanation and then have to keep asking. This is the journey!

7. Mario Ray Mahardhika

Mario Ray Mahardhika Active Member

I think that's normal, as tornado kick is usually taught on 7th kup (here, I don't know in your dojang) and not mastering it until 1-3 next kups is not unusual (I master tornado kick with left leg only about 1 year ago, while I've been a 1st dan since 2008). There are a lot of factors that may affect. I say, you need personal instructor, who can see your mistakes and fix them right away. Seeing videos might help, especially if your learning style is dominantly visual.

8. Melody

Melody Member

Thank you Mario. Yes, as you said there are so many factors I feel I am not ready for physically yet. The combination of spinning and getting off the ground is very problematic but I am progressing with other jumping kicks so I think it's a matter of the combination of jump, spin, weight placement, tork and all of that technical stuff that you must execute simultaneously. I continue to study videos so I don't have to keep asking everyone in class. It's interesting, I have a friend who is a doctor but also has an extensive background in Martial Arts (his little daughter is in my school) he said its incredible how you can struggle for years with something and then all of a sudden you get it and progress dramatically all at once. So I'm looking forward to that haha!

9. Mark 42

Mark 42 Member

Anything requiring flexibility.
    I stretch daily, but I started at age 50, have never been flexible or athletic, so my
    limit is just not going to be as high as other students.

Spinning is a problem too. Butterfly kicks look awkward.
    Actually, I just look awkward. But I keep going.

Melody likes this.
  10. Bochica

Bochica Member

I struggle with virtually most techniques, but I put that down to my age and trying to analyse it instead of just doing it as kids do.
    Does Anyone else over think it too?

11. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

I've always analysed everything. At first, it can make you slower to learn, but in the longer term, you'll learn faster because every new technique you see will be similar to one you already know. You will begin to relate techniques and motions to each other by the principles behind them, in a way that people who 'just do' never will.

It will also make you a good instructor, because you will understand what is behind the art and be able to explain what it is that you are doing and why, instead of just demonstrating it. You'll even be able to remember not just what worked for you learning the technique, but all the different approaches you tried and were shown - because you gave each aspect so much thought. This will help you to tailor what you teach to the needs of the student.

On topic, most difficult techniques for me are side kick and turning kick, mainly due to limited flexibility. Also they are both techniques that I believe can always be improved. Oh and, remembering to breathe correctly.

Melody and Bochica like this.
  12. Mark 42

Mark 42 Member

Memorization of poomses is tough as one ages.
    I am at the place where I have to review (re-learn?) all 8 poomses to prepare for my
    black belt test. I practice 30 to 45 minutes every day at lunch, plus the practice in
    class 3 days a week. I find it is much harder to remember the poomses than it would
    have been 20 to 40 years (or even 5 or 10) ago.

I have to read the written instructions I have the first time through for most of the
    poomses. I had #4 through #8 fairly okay, then when I added #3, it was an overload
    for my brain and I got pieces of all of them mixed together.

My instructor has recognized that showing me what practical application helps.
    He either does the technique on me or has me do it to him and that reinforces it well.

Which verifies what has already been said here - a variety of teaching methods can really
    be useful to reach different students with the way that works for each of them, or in my
    case, a variety of teaching methods really adds together to help me overcome the reduction
    in memory capabilities that come with age.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  13. Gnarlie

There is a very strong link between spoken language and how we store information in our brains. Studies show that people remember things better when they say them out loud. For this reason, when learning a new form, it helps me a lot to run a commentary out loud at the same time as performing the movements. This not only helps remember the order of the movements, but also is beneficial later when you need to teach them to someone else. Having to commentate a form for the first time, the first time you teach it, is a nightmare!

That's my learning tip. It used to take me about an hour of repeating a form to learn it (superfically) using this method.

Also, mixing up forms 2 and 3 is pretty much de rigeur. They are very similar, people tend to start one and finish the other.

14. Mark 42

Mark 42 Member

I found all of the forms written in .PDF form.
    I copied them to word docs, and edited them to suit my thinking methods (e.g. stance first,
    then the bock &/or attack or other motions). I also edited them to use terminology my instructor
    uses in class. Then I re-wrote them again to suit my need for review after I have already learned
    them. Part of the reason I did it was to help with memorization as well as to have them to use
    for review when I practice. I'll have to see if there is an area here where I could upload them.

15. damotaekwondo

damotaekwondo New Member

Having had a break from training for about 10 years I am struggling a bit with jump spin hook kicks. Standard spin hooks are fine, infact it feels very natural to perform these. Just a case of practicing the jump with it over and over until it becomes easy again ;)

16. Keigo

Keigo Member

I'm still having trouble with the most basic turning kick.. Also tornado kick and spin hook kick.
    For turning kick, I still can't figure out how much to twist the hips. Sometimes I barely twist (especially when trying to do multiple turning kicks or during sparring), and end up with these weird angled front kicks with no power. Usually results in my instructor yelling, "TWIST! TWIST YOUR HIPS MORE!" So I try but end up twisting too much, and it becomes hard to do combinations.

Spinning hook kick, for some reason my kicks always go downwards in a diagonal manner instead of across.

Tornado kick, it's strange but I'm not quite sure what is wrong, it looks ok, but it just doesn't feel right lol. But this has taken the back seat for now, trying to fix the other two first ;)

Melody likes this.
  17. darylb11005

darylb11005 New Member

The basic round kick always has been and always will be my nemesis. It never felt natural to me when I practiced Shotokan, which was my first serious martial art. It may have actually been my best kick for a time, because it was the technique I practiced more than any other. I found it so frustrating that I just kept working at it until I could do it well. But ever since I pulled a lower back muscle a few years ago, I've had to go easy on it, placing artificial limits on my range of motion so that I do not re-injure myself. And I have re-injured myself a few times, mainly when I've tried the old "bigger technique" Shotokan approach to doing the kick. Now I just stick to the method I learned in TKD, where it is apparently not seen as an absolute aberration to "cut" the kick by bringing the knee straight up as if doing a front kick, then pivoting/twisting to make it a round kick (vs bringing it up to the side in a "cocked" position and then bringing the whole leg around with the hip twist/pivot).

18. Gnarlie

You describe some of the factors I still think about. If a vertical pelvis is 100%, I get about 90% turnover in a standing dollyo chagi, and during a combination anywhere between 45 and 80% on the 1st kick (depending on the speed I need), and 90% on the second, as that's the one I want to do the business with.

This is usually due to 3 factors, in order of priority - hip position through the kick; the hip leads the leg through. Timing of the start of the kick during the rotation; if you start too early in your spin, the kick will be on its way down when it reaches the line of the target. Strength; you need sufficient strength (and therefore flex) in your legs and hip flexors to be able to hold that kick at the target height for the time the whole kick takes.

Probably balance related. You could try maintaining your upper body axis and centre of gravity, and see if that helps.

Absolutely, for speed reasons. You should be able to build in the same power that you had in the big technique into the small one, because the hip twist is still present, and the energy from the upward pre-kick motion can be converted to horizontal. You can trade this off against the horizontal 'leg swing' power you used to get from the bigger old-style technique.

Keigo likes this.
  19. Keigo

Keigo Member

Yes! That's what I thought too! But I wasn't too sure if it was the 'right' way to do it. On one hand, it felt easier to do multiple kicks, but on the other, it felt like I was cheating a little by turning less :p So I went back to experimenting with more turnover for combinations, thinking it was probably my footing or weight placement, but just couldn't get it to work. It also probably doesn't help that I seem to have low body awareness, especially when kicking a paddle/shield, so I may think that I'm turning over quite abit, but in fact I'm not. Do you think it's better to practise the combinations slightly slower to get the twist right first before trying for speed?

Ooooh I reckon it might be the strength. I find that if I'm less ambitious and not aiming high eg just somewhere between belt and chest level, I find I can carry it across quite ok. I don't quite understand how to lead with the hip though, but I think it's similar to what my instructor pointed out, he tells me I don't turn (my butt) enough. I wonder if that's got to do with strength too? Maybe I have insufficient strength to turn/move the hip with my leg up, so I'm compensating by leading with my leg and using the swinging momentum to turn my body around? I find it hard to keep my leg in that position already, much less move my hip to lead the kick.

I'm not too sure how to describe it, but it feels like the power isn't flowing through to the kick. I mean, technically it should be a more powerful kick than a turning kick because of the added spin, but it feels like I'm not transferring the power from the spin into the kick properly, so it ends up like a turning kick with a little hop added at the end. But then again, I haven't practised the tornado kick nearly as much as the other kicks (spinning + jumping makes it difficult to do it repeatedly >.<), so it could be that I'm just unfamiliar with the 'flow' of the movement.