Need advice on my ITF taekwondo patterns

Discussion in 'Taekwondo Patterns' started by kmh220981, Apr 19, 2016.

1. kmh220981

kmh220981 New Member

I am a 1st degree and trying to improve my patterns which are very jumpy, nervous, rigid and all over the place. Not entirely sure what's wrong with them, they just don't look right. Have tried slowing down, using more sine wave, then using less sine wave, making chambering bigger, then smaller, trying to relax more in between moves... nothing seems to change the way they look. Any tips? Has anyone had similar issues?

3. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

What doesn't look right to you? If you video yourself and compare with your role models, what looks different? What are they doing (or not doing) that is different?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

4. kmh220981

kmh220981 New Member

For instance, my sine wave makes my pattern very bouncy, so I've tried reducing the sine wave, but then I've been told that I do too little sine wave and should do more. Maybe it's the timing of the sine wave, it's maybe too quick... It's difficult to correct it when I don't even know what's going on, all I know is that when I video myself, I look very bouncy, and maybe lose some of the sharpness of the technique. Role models look more relaxed and confident, and they do maybe even more sine wave, very pronounced, but somehow differently than me... So frustrating

5. Leo

Leo New Member

When you execute the technique wait a second before you move to the next technique. That helped my patterns tremendously.
    Hope it helps.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  6. kmh220981

kmh220981 New Member

That's actually a really valuable advice, thank you! I thought that's what I am doing, but now that I look at it - not so much. Makes a difference to sharpness of execution as well

7. Leo

Leo New Member

No problem!

8. Matt

Matt Member

As a practitioner that studies ITF patterns let me help you here if I can. For one, definitely look at the timing of your sine wave. It can make a huge difference if you are even off by half a second. Next, look at the size of your stances. are they too long or too short? That may be impacting your timing. I would also suggest the pauses in between moves. Another hint is to ask someone of higher rank to observe you. You can also take the patterns slower and break down each move and work on them individually. My school does not teach the traditional sine wave and we use twisting and sine wave combined which isn't taught anymore but I still take individual moves and break them down.

9. canadiankyosa

canadiankyosa Active Member

My thought find a person who can teach, I hate to say. A teacher does not give partial advice. Many black belts also need specifics on what and how to fix.

10. liquidcadmus

liquidcadmus New Member

The sinewave is meant to transfer weight and impulse between movements and positions.
    You should focus on feeling how your weight and the energy of your movements move with the sinewave, the reason we use sinewave in ITF is because we try to use physics to increase the amount of mass that is applied into each strike.
    think of it as an ocean wave, going up its building force, but the true pressure and power comes when the wave crashes down with the whole weight of it's mass.

the best thing you can do, like with any other thing in martial arts is practice over and over and over and over...I've been training ITF Taekwon'Do for 25 years and I am still trying to polish and improve my patterns to the day.

what helped me the most was just being able to feel the increased power when doing the sinewave correctly, the breathing is also of utmost importance.

a good example to use as reference is Jaroslaw Suska, he is a multiple champion in patterns and regarded as one of the most technically gifted masters out there. you can find videos of him performing all ITF patterns on youtube.

Ade Tomlinson and CoolTKD like this.
  11. CoolTKD

CoolTKD New Member

perform every move like you mean it! strong and with purpose.

12. skinwants

skinwants New Member

13. Ade Tomlinson

Ade Tomlinson New Member

All above is good advice , i am lucky enough to have a place to train that has all one side mirrored so I regularly check sine wave and positioning . I wouldnt worry to much about what other people do as everyone practices patterns with a slight variation based on how they are taught .
    EG -look on youtube and you see many people kick high when the kicks should be low or middle , add extra movements to a technique to make it look stronger, overtly making a lot of sound almost a kia for every movement , bobbing up and down and my pet hate this wierd business that makes you look like you trying to pull your hand out of your pocket before you punch . (sorry my inner autist).
    I have always been taught and taught students to always do a pattern with focus and full intention paying attention to details along the way and practice them over and over .
    Ade