Not sure this link will work. But a rule change has been proposed to penalize raising

Discussion in 'News' started by John Hulslander, Mar 21, 2014.

1. John Hulslander

John Hulslander Active Member

2. canadiankyosa

canadiankyosa Active Member

If they penalize me for I blocking, I would be walking. Simple.

3. ssiidd

ssiidd Active Member

I have been aware of this for some time and the way I understand this is ...
    a. If someone raises a leg every time an attack comes in but does not commit, thus stopping/preventing/cutting the attackers technique it is considered a kyongo. In other words, this is considered negative TKD spirit
    b. If defender raises leg and follows up with a technique that is fine (but if all defender does is raise a leg every time an attack comes in but does not execute a technique .. see#1)
    c. If attacker or defender raises leg/knee and chases, it is not a kyongo but a valid technique.

The video is very open ended. They should publish the exact rules/conditions. One might argue my understanding is incorrect but without any specific rules, this topic will remain subjective.

Michael MacNeil likes this.
  4. Mario Ray Mahardhika

Mario Ray Mahardhika Active Member

AFAIR, they did it in the past (when the system was still manual). Then they cancelled it because the fight became less aggressive, atheletes tend to counterattack only. Now the want to do it again? What's with those guys' brain?

5. Oerjan

Oerjan Active Member

Keeping the atletes on their toes?:p

6. michael mckenna

michael mckenna Active Member

anyone can correct me if im wrong but ive seen alot of matches were people want the opponent to make the first move first and most of the time it ends up neither of them doing it due to them being both counterattackers maybe they are afraid to be hit cos it will hurt, afraid to lose a point, or are just to in the mind set that taekwondo is about defence and you shouldnt strike first. this is not a good mentality to have i feel people who compete in taekwondo competitions could take a page out of a pro fighters book and work very hard on being aggressive but not overly agressive, i use to have that problem but now i feel the person who lands the first attack without counter striking will be the one who decides the outcome of the match. please anyone correct me if im wrong

7. Gary Thorpe

Gary Thorpe New Member

Don't be to despondent, it's an evoluntionary problem mainly due to the involvement of electronic scoring.
    Fighters quickly found out that by extending the leg and sparring in the manner of a fencing match they could pick up cheap points. (very unattractive).To counter that, this new blocking rule has been introduced. Similarly fighters try very soft head shots because of the higher point value, but with the introduction of electronic helmets you will see another change in style as coaches find ways to maximise their players advantage. Maybe manual scoring was OK?

8. Matt

Matt Member

The whole leg raising rule was used to counter the fighter Steven Lopez. He was known to use that technique all the time and other opponents would hurt their shins on his legs and they wouldn't score any points. They created that as a rule to make it so people couldn't hurt themselves from hitting shins and to stop the amount of blocking that was used from it. You can use your shin to block though if your knee is above your waist when the opponents foot makes contact