Oldest student in your school?

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by Russell, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Russell

Russell New Member

What is the age of your oldest pre black-belt student in your school?

I'm 67 yo and I'm the oldest in my school here in Adelaide, South Australia. (I'm a 2nd kup at the moment doing Pal Jang.)

I hope to go for my black belt when I turn 70. Biggest problem is flexibility, but I'm getting better.

David Fhu and Narcsarge like this.
  3. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

We have a 60+ group with quite a few members. The oldest are 80+.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Rugratzz likes this.
  4. Rugratzz

Rugratzz Active Member

Our chief instructor, 63 ish. and then me, 58. Like you Russel, my flexibility isnt good, bad hips and bad knees, Taking my dan grade next year, along with two of my children, if I can get through the pre dan grading course, a weekend of hell. Its geared to younger people, I am going to see if they will make any concessions for this old guy, probably not, as its an official Kukki grading. If things go pear shaped then I will just take a club grading, as I am not going to be doing any competitions, or really training outside of my club. I already have a handful of dan grades, in different martial arts.

RR

5. Flatcat

Flatcat New Member

Joined just add another Adelaide representative.

I used to be the oldest at our school (@45) but we recently had a gentleman join who may have a couple years on me so don’t believe I hold that crown anymore.

6. Russell

Russell New Member

Yes, the joys of getting old!!!
    I'm not doing too bad, I can kick reasonably well front kick but the roundhouse and turning kick leave a lot to be desired!
    I tried "breaking" a few months ago and broke the boards doing front kick, side kick, back kick and turning kick but they held the board (one) at my belt level, not chest. ☺ (Can't complain I suppose.)
    Hey Flatcat, are you from Adelaide as well? I actually live at Monarto but go to Mt Barker and Adelaide to train.

7. Flatcat

Flatcat New Member

Something similar, happy to plant a front kick on your forehead, and I may hit your shoulder with a round house, but come Koryo double side kick and I’m lucky to get it waist high.

Train at Fusion in Para Hills, just down from Modbury.

8. Russell

Russell New Member

Yeah, I'm World Taekwondo Academy at Mt Barker and Crafers, etc.

9. Rugratzz

Rugratzz Active Member

Kukkiwon website (Education Media Centre) states that the first side kick (yopchagi) is low, the second one can either be to midsection or high section, your choice. I spoke to our grand master (9th dan) about this as I was also having trouble getting my leg up. He said that honestly there is no point in kicking that high, because if you apply the technique, a kick to the head would cause your attacker to fall backwards, even after stepping forward, you would find it hard to be able to reach with the strike to the throat, sonnal bakkat chigi. I expect I will get some contradictions, but I am not going to argue with a Korean 9th dan.

10. Shawchert

Shawchert New Member

we have a student that is 60+ as well. He has bad hips but he does his best when he kicks.

Gnarlie likes this.
  11. Gnarlie

I do my best as an instructor to help people in the "over 40" bracket to do two things: work their mobility in healthy and sustainable way, and find reasonable alternatives to high kicks that work for them and adhere to the principle required. There really is no need to kick high to be effective.

12. Russell

Russell New Member

Yeah, I'd have to kick them in the knee-caps!! Hahaha:)

13. Gnarlie

Well TKD was already in its 50s when it took me up, so I'm relatively young by comparison.

I'm all for standing on people's instep.

14. Ade Tomlinson

Ade Tomlinson New Member

HHMM Me currently at the tender age of 53 , though in the past i have trained with people over 70 who still train well and love it . For the flexibility issues I have adopted the stretch band approach along witht he old stretching scientifically dvd approach and use selinium as it help my joints .

15. David Fhu

David Fhu New Member

My club has a lady at the age of 45, and I am just a year younger than her. We are both the older trainee in our club. At least she is flexible, unlike me.

Both of us started nine months back. She is now at the yellow tip and I am at the yellow belt.