On not giving up

Discussion in 'The Dojang' started by Gnarlie, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

They say you should never give up.

I always give up. And every time, without exception, I am always disappointed with myself for doing so.

But every time I try, it's a little longer before I give up. And I will never give up trying.

Ivor likes this.
  2. John Hulslander

John Hulslander Active Member

3. Nik Cannon

Nik Cannon New Member

It gets harder the older you get, life and kids get in the way of any singular purpose, I failed my driving test 6 times due to stupid nerves, I finally tried meditation and breathing exercises to overcome the irrational fears, and finally passed.
    I have mild scoliosis to the spine ( muscular, not bone) which has arose through not being treated correctly, or successfully by numerous doctors, I would get severe back spasms that left me on the floor unable to move for upto 45 mins, walking for any length of time would become painful, I would get numb feet and burning, searing pain in my right thigh.
    After trying many things, and being sick of just popping pills, I tried an osteopath, after about 12 sessions I felt like my old self, free of pain, ( relatively ) I have a visit every 3-6 months as a top up, and try to do yoga whenever I can as well.
    There was no way I would ever envision a martial art a couple of years ago, now, after 3 months, I'm loving it!
    I've just turned 48, and did my first grading a few days ago with my 7 year old son, and I wasn't the only middle aged father grading with their sons for the first time.

4. Gazzer

Gazzer Active Member

Good onya mate :) My motto for TKD, "just keep walking through that door" I train 3 times a week and have done for 6 years now :) nearly up to my 3rd dan grading, its hard to keep the motivation up with everything that goes on in life, very hard, but I just go.
    I started when I was 37 and my daughter started 5 years ago when she was 11.

5. Shawchert

Shawchert New Member

I feel you. I had to leave TKD due to my mother whining about the cost (and to this day I don't know hwat she was whining about! it was $25 a month for 3 days for 1.5 hours!! That's an AMAZING DEAL!!! also the instructors were super! They were undercutting themselves in the pricing!) Then when I went back when I could afford my own money and found out they were basically handing out belts, I left. I hate quitting. It's not my thing. I always grit my teeth to get things done! It took me 17 years to find another dojang nearby. I missed it so much. I'll do anything to get to my classes now, though it would be hard since I can't drive and the place is 5 miles away. So many things factor in what a person can and will do and what is beyond their control.

Always keep trying! :) That is a great thing!