One kick to rule them all

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by Finlay, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

what is the number on kick in TKD

It should have practical application
    It should have nice astetics (not that important I grant you but it is "rule them all")
    Practicing this kick should improve other kicks too
    Anything else you can add

I have my answer what is yours?

2. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

Ap chagi, because it's the one most often practiced, and because it teaches several universal principles of kicking. The best weapon os the one you happen to be carrying. The best kick is the one you don't even have to think about.

There are reasons why it is more common in forms than any other kick.

That said, only a small percentage of people perform and apply it well enough to make it as devastating as it can be.

3. Martin Harvey

Martin Harvey New Member

In the Chang Hon(ITF) patterns from white belt to 7th degree the most commonly used kicks and the number of times they are used in the patterns are:
    1) Middle Side Piercing Kick - 28
    2) Low Front Snap Kick - 14
    3) High Side Piercing Kick - 12
    4) Middle Front Snap Kick - 10
    5) High Reverse Hooking Kick - 10

I know this as I've sat down and counted them :). Yes I'm a bit of a sad git but it was a small part of my 5th degree thesis
    I agree that Front kick is extremely useful but I my favourite is Front Leg Side kick. It can be quick and very powerful

Gnarlie likes this.
  4. Mario Ray Mahardhika

Mario Ray Mahardhika Active Member

If it's only one, then it's ap chagi. It serves as a base for all other kicks. It teaches balance, how high the kicking knee should be, how big the rotation of supporting foot is, shape of the kicking foot, upper body position, etc. Very practical, applicable to many possible targets (lower shin, knee, groin, abdomen, chest, chin).

Gnarlie likes this.
  5. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

Interesting, thank you.

I agree that side kick is useful when a person is good at it. It is more technically demanding though, and requires more practice to be practical.

Which is great if you practice it more often.

6. Anthony Hayward

Anthony Hayward Active Member

I guess it comes down to whether you are looking at sparring, patterns or at pure self defence...
    In sparring I would say the number 1 kick would be the front leg turning kick, patterns the mid-section side kick and for pure self defence the front kick, however in pure self defence the best kick available at the time would be the number 1 kick.

7. John Hulslander

John Hulslander Active Member

Put me in the Ap Chagi camp as well.
    It is effective. It can be fast, and one comment I haven't seen yet is that it is the one kick that you will be able to perform well at almost any age.

Anthony Hayward likes this.
  8. Raymond

Raymond Active Member

Another vote for Ap Chagi. Used on defense, offense, multiple targets. Can be thrown with the lead or rear, with a step, or shifting weight forward or back. Extremely easy to learn, and still a life time to master all the nuances.

9. Rynfish

Rynfish New Member

My votes for the Turning Kick, because you use the ball of the foot, its more practical and powerful than the traditional "roundhouse" where you kick with your instep. Ever tried breaking a board with your instep? Ouch!

10. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

No calling you out but why do you say the "traditional" roundhouse is with the instep?

i thought the tradional roundhouse was also with the ball of the foot, i may be wrong though

11. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

to join the front kick group

i have taught for many year that front kick should be [racticed hard, if we have time we naturally tunr to face problems, front kick is there

also i have personally solved situations with front kicks to the groin or liver.

12. Mario Ray Mahardhika

Mario Ray Mahardhika Active Member

Ouch? What ouch? I feel nothing... even multiple boards (3 at least) of the thickest. Board breaking is applied physics, if you do it wrong, well it's an ouch. Otherwise, no hurt at all.

13. Rynfish

Rynfish New Member

I mean a traditional Karate roundhouse. Trad TKD is obviously with the ball of the foot

14. Rynfish

Rynfish New Member

I believe we kick with the ball of the foot as it's difficult to kick with the instep in army boots, as it was developed in the Korean army. (And also theory of power/ smaller area)

15. sabomnimdan

sabomnimdan New Member

On the criteria of the original post I'll say front kick as well for its speed, power, adaptability, effectiveness and how aesthetically pleasing a crisp snap kick looks.

I'm personally partial to a turning back kick because if it's done well it tends to draw in an opponent who doesn't see it coming and is also devastating. However, as good as it is it just doesn't have the adaptability of a front kick.

16. Bandel/Toki Chagi(Doubles/Triples/Quadruples/ect.), I believe has the greatest application and improves balance, rhythm, and control. Practicing solo, without a bag or target to kick off of, forces the practitioner to focus on hip rotation. Aesthetically, I believe this partly gives the appearance of a bird, legs flapping like wings, and the Taekwondo Player takes flight.

Though, perhaps I'm taking this question out of context, since Toki Chagi is more than one kick, the technique is different than just a regular Dolliyo Chagi and a lot harder because you have to stop the momentum of a round house through your hips and redirect to kick with the other foot.