one pattern for 5 years

Discussion in 'Taekwondo Patterns' started by Finlay, May 28, 2014.

1. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

I once saw a book (didn't read it ) that had the title of "one kata for 5 years" got me thinking about patterns. First of all how many of us really study the patterns to depth. By that i mean not just the from to make it look good and smooth transitions, but also the application, also the mental conditioning, and everything that can be possibly contain within a form

also

Which pattern would you choose if you had to work on one one for 5 years or even longer

2. Brent Read

Brent Read New Member

Koryo

Kick T-shirts likes this.
  3. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

Keumgang. I have studied it for 12 years so far. There's more to it than meets the eye.

Kick T-shirts likes this.
  4. Oerjan

Oerjan Active Member

5 years 1 Kata by Bill Burgar is an excellent book that I wholeheartedly recommend. It is a rather thick book and in a way you get two for the price of one. His theory section in part 1 is more than Worth the price alone, part two is also excellent but the Kata he demonstrates is not practised in Taekwondo. That being said you will find more than a few techniques and sequences in it that also fit Taekwondo forms, but it also teaches you how to do a similar job studying one form indepth instead of many forms just for performance and grading purposes.

I like to think that I study indepth, but I also know how to perform many forms. The ones I concentrate my study on in similar ways to how Bill Burgar studied Gojushiho Kata is for me: Taegeuk Il Jang, Keumgang and Chulgi Chudan Hyung. If I was forced to chose just one of those three it would probably be either Keumgang or Chulgi. It is hard to tell and I love both of them :)Keumgang lacks flashy techniques so it is often overlooked in the Taekwondo world, but as Gnarlie says there is more to it than meets the eye. Both philosophical, body movement and application wise.

5. Kick T-shirts

Kick T-shirts New Member

Hard to choose between Koryo and Keumgang. I think need to constantly revise all your patterns as your technique improves. I have a friend who learnt to ski when she was 4 and then never took another lesson. Now she is a 30-year-old, but she still skis like a 4-year-old, it looks hilarious.