online taekwondo training

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by TAE_1, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

And yet contact is made in hoshinsul for grabs, locks, chokes, holds etc.

2. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

That's not sparring. General Choi was against contact sparring (free fighting).

3. Gnarlie

And free sparring based on hoshinsul?

4. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Doesn't exist unless the instructor stipulates it by his/her own free will.

5. Gnarlie

At your place? It's part of the grading structure for me and a large proportion of people training in Europe. Don't know about the US, but I suspect Matt has to do it, too.

And by Hoshinsul I don't just mean wristlocks. I mean all in SD.

6. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Free sparring based on Hoshinsul doesn't exist in ITF as a stipulation. Honshinsul exists by stipulation in isolation only.

7. Gnarlie

Shame.

8. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

How are you supposed to grab my wrist if I am at kicking range?

9. Gnarlie

As I said, we are not just talking wrist locks. Sweeps, kick takedowns, everything. Bridging distance is a principle that such sparring teaches.

Seems like you think Hoshinsul is only wrist grabs?

10. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Yeah, doesn't exist within free sparring unless the big boss says so. As for gradings, I don't see how it's reasonable. You can be acceptable at SD and still fall short. Did that person then fail the black belt test if it didn't work on me? Should I not resist? Well, then it's not free fighting anymore. Might as well be compliant.

11. Gnarlie

You are thinking in terms of technique. If one thing doesn't work, you switch to another while adhering to the principles of self defence. That's the point. Progressive resistance, progressive intensity, progressive skills. Building blocks that begin with kibon.

12. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Look, you wrote yourself that full contact wasn't the point. Without full contact, it doesn't matter how many additional techniques your advanced TKD sparring allows for. You need live action fighting.

13. Gnarlie

It is as close to live action fighting as you can safely go using the principles of our art. I said full contact wasn't necessary. Not that it wasn't included.

14. Raymond

Raymond Active Member

I think Taekwonwoo is probably the best option if one had to choose an remote distance program for TKD.

15. truejim

truejim Member

I'd disagree only in the sense that there's minimal value in any online training, so any online training that you have to pay for isn't worth the money. If for some reason a person is bound-and-determined to study at home (for whatever reason), they're better off using the copious amounts of free material already available on the internet - some of it being very good. To the extent that a person does spend money to train at home, their money is probably better spent on either equipping their home gym, or paying a gym membership to use the facilities there. And in any case, it's always much better to study in a real school, of course.

16. Raymond

Raymond Active Member

I'm not for or against online TKD training either way, just playing sort of devil's advocate.

But the difference with paying for something like Taekwonwoo is that you can actually get feed back and ask questions to the instructor via chat, skype, email etc and they can watch your vids and give you assistance.

If someone is completely new and has never trained before than online training is terrible. But if someone is at least a 1st gup or 1st dan or somewhere in that region, and already have good fundamentals then I believe they could benefit from remote learning. Much of TKD culture revolves around poomsae and I think distance learning is fine for that. Of course ALL distance learning regardless of the art should be supplemented by periodic trips to the instructor's academy (vacation!) for in person evaluation.

If someone lived in NYC, trained TKD and had to take a job in middle of no where Wyoming then yeah I would imagine that Taekwonwoo would be great for them compared to just watching Revolution of kicking on Youtube.

Gnarlie likes this.
  17. Gnarlie

I don't believe in 2 dimensional instructions for a 3 dimensional end product. It's why flatpack furniture is a nightmare, and TKD is way more complex than that.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

18. northface

northface New Member

I find i have been interested in online training in most things over the year e.g. meditation, diet advice etc but what I have discovered is you can't beat actual teaching face to face from a reputable teacher whether martial arts, mediation or nutritional advice.