palgwe... Should we learn them?

Discussion in 'Taekwondo Patterns' started by Midnight, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Gary Thorpe

Gary Thorpe New Member

Hey Midnight

Gnarlie is on the money, also remember the scrutiny that the Taegueks have had as because of their competition status which has had them defined and redefined to within an inch of their lives as apposed too the Palgwes, which thanks to the likes of those in this thread will survive.

2. Oerjan

Oerjan Active Member

http://jungdokwan-taekwondo.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/palgwe-forms-original-koryo-as-bonus.html

The above link is to one blog post I did a while back. It shows the Kukkiwon Clips for each Palgwe + one Clip of "Original Koryo" which was replaced in 1972 by the "New koryo". It also has an alternative Version of Palgwae Il (1) Jang that is often practised that differs from the latest Kukkiwon Clip. It also has a short history background for Palgwae and Taegeuk forms sets.

John Hulslander likes this.
  3. John Hulslander

John Hulslander Active Member

Thanks for posting Oerjan.
    Our GM is from a Tang Soo Do background. He originally taught the Pyong Ahn forms and added the Palgwe forms later. We still practice the Palgwe forms to this date. As opposed to the blog, he cites one of the reasons for adopting the Taeguk forms is that the had shorter stances which comes closer to how one fights.

He prefers the traditional forms from an aestetic perspective.

4. Oerjan

Oerjan Active Member

Many cite the Shorter stances but they are really only prevalent in the first Three forms and dissapears after that so I personally do not think that is the reason at all. On a side note I just finished Reading The essence of Okinawan Karate-Do by Nagamine and was very suprised to see the exact stance for short walking stance included in it and that Nagamine stressed its importance whereas the Ap Seogi (short walking stance) in Taekwondo (the very same stance that Nagamine stressed its importance) is seen as bad stances for beginners. Glad you liked the blogpost John:)

5. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

Just with regard to stances, in terms of self defence application, I find the weight shift resulting from transitions between stances way more useful than single stances in isolation. IMO apseogi is a realistic and practical start point from which to transition to Apkubi or Dwikubi, especially when controlling the opponents weight, for example during a takedown.

There's more information contained in the dynamics of how you get into and out of the lower stances than there is in the static stance itself. It ties in with the 'using stability and instability' part of Muye I went on about in the other thread.

6. Oerjan

Oerjan Active Member

With all the movements in Poomsae (being stances or "techniques") I gennerally find that we focus too much on the "end position" and too little on how we got from point a to b. It is my opinion that it is between point a and b the focus should be and that it where the actuall "stuff" happens. If you do the part between point a and b correct you usually end up in a "correct" end position anyway;-)

Gnarlie likes this.
  7. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

I think both the dynamic motion and the static end position are important, but perhaps for different reasons.

I thought you might find this interesting, the definition and history of poomsae as described by my friend and a sadly missed mentor, the late GM Al Cole 9th Dan.

https://www.facebook.com/JCalicu/posts/300516826685951

GM Cole's comments are last in that thread.

Oerjan likes this.
  8. Oerjan

Oerjan Active Member

GM Cole I have never met but I have read a lot of great things by him. I deeply respect him. Thanks for the link there was a lot of great material in there:)