Pattern example

Discussion in 'The Video Room' started by Finlay, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

I was looking through YouTube at patterns and came across this...

Thoughts anyone?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  3. canadiankyosa

canadiankyosa Active Member

4. John Hulslander

John Hulslander Active Member

Video won't load. Or is this some kind of philosophical point.

5. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

Hahha, I'll try to reload it

6. John Hulslander

John Hulslander Active Member

with this being AAU, I don't have a good frame of reference.
    What stands out to me is that part of the form is shorter stanced, which is consistent with a fighting based form while in other parts, especially the end he has a super long stance.

The arm motions all see short, but this is common in Ishin Ryu where the idea is to generate as much power as possible in a small space.

The other thing that stands out is the sine motion (I assume, again I am not familiar in depth with AAU standards) but there is the up and down that I understand to be integral in AAU forms.

7. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

Not my cup of tea. Complex looking form but the individual basic techniques are not good IMO. This impression is exacerbated by the 'scary' facial expressions, which I find don't really match the intensity of the form performance.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

8. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

Yeah, I would basically agree

Two main points

It is ITF pattern Gae Beak, performed quite poorly, lots of technical mistakes.

The person in the video seems to be adding in a lot of kihaps during the form and an 'intense' facial expression in order to give the pattern a martial value. However, there is little or no power or sharpness in his movements.

Gnarlie likes this.
  9. RTKDCMB

RTKDCMB Active Member

Weird backwards stepping before performing the pattern. What was that about?

10. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss New Member

It would be interesting to find out:
    Is this how the person was taught?
    Have they modified the form for competition purposes knowing what these judges tend to score high?
    Does this person have any idea about the purpose of the moves irrespective of whether that purpose is one of the purposes the creator of the form intended?
    Is that rumbling sound you hear General Choi spinning in his grave?