patterns: are you missing the point ? by stuart anslow

Discussion in 'Taekwondo Patterns' started by michael mckenna, Oct 7, 2013.

1. michael mckenna

michael mckenna Active Member

UK-Student likes this.
  2. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

Essentially the same as Iain abernethy's approach. Its a fairly good article, I liked his point about possibly why hand techniques are taught first.

UK-Student and michael mckenna like this.
  3. michael mckenna

they are actually friends from what i know. thats alot of articles i think you would enjoy reading of mr anslows

UK-Student likes this.
  4. RTKDCMB

RTKDCMB Active Member

I have not read the whole article yet but I like the bit about students only practicing the current pattern and largely forget the earlier ones, I see it from students here and there. Personally I was never one for doing it that way, I always practiced my previous patterns, and still do. You learn the pattern, do the grading, then learn the next one while you perfect the previous ones, that's the way I was taught and is how I teach others.

UK-Student likes this.
  5. michael mckenna

when i practice patterns i start from saju maki and saju jirugi then upto my current pattern which is joong gun and i practice each patterns everyday about 10 times per pattern. when you do that it works up a big sweat and i dont forget any patterns past won hyo as i still need to practice them as much as i have the others

6. michael mckenna

i prefer not to forget performing my early patterns as it took me a good while to be pretty good at them

UK-Student likes this.